Huuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm

MarcAshken

I've got Alesis m1 active mk2 monitors, and the hum on the is like a bee or sumit. it sounds like electrical hum, is this common to all active monitors, is there some way to rid myself of this hum? Could it be that i have eight plugs goin into 2 sockets?? Please help if u can, i'm probably being really dumb. Thanx

plug all your stuff on the same power strip, sometimes it helps

i do have hum problems again now that I moved to a new house, but last year this fixed the same problem

Balnced cables

Make sure you are using balanced cables... If you have xlr to 1/4" cables make sure the 1/4" end is TRS...
GOOD LUCK!

Thanx, I am using xlr to 1/4" jacks, what is trs? i made the cables myself, by just soldering to the ring and tip on the 1/4 end and the l and r on the xlr end, i'm using two strandspeaker cable so i had no earth wire to solder to x. WHat should i do man, u seem to know ur sht. Plz help if u can.

TRS is basically 1/4 connectors with 3 wires instead of 2. They look like Stereo connectors but in fact they are more like "compact XLRs"

Be carefull there, you could be making a wiring disaster.

A 1/4" TRS is a Tip, ring, sleeve. The tip is hot or +, the Ring is the cold or - and the sleeve is the ground/shield.

The connection should probably be like this:

Using a 2 wire with shield cable

Tip to pin 2 (xlr)
Ring to pin 3 (xlr)
Sleeve to shield (xlr)

Hope this helps.

Lots of people remove the ground wire from all their audio connections, since all devices are grounded thru their power cord... You could try that.

Plug all the audio stuff into the same power strip, take everything that's not audio stuff and put it on a different one. If it continues try moving the power strip to a different socket as well. If it's still happening, go buy some cables of reasonable quality and try those.

If not any of that then I don't know, maybe try a power conditioner of some kind? I don't know if that will help.

Back