How much reverb should i be applying?

Gouryella91

I'm working somewhat with reverb and I was wondering what you guys normally use, 0-100% dry/wet, when applying reverb to your instruments?

I've been told, also, that i should be applying reverb to all my instruments because it will create a better sounding track; is it true, then, I should be applying reverb to everything?

This thread might be in the wrong topic genre, but I picked it out anyway.

There is an 'old' saying that you should do what you think sounds right... there are lots of different reverb types, eq settings etc...

As a rule of thumb, you would use 100% wet reverb for a bus or send effect reverb and send the tracks you want to that bus in varying amounts. Not sure what anyone else does, but if I'm making a particular type of music or sound, I will apply a little more reverb to tracks which I was to seem a bit further away and less to the tracks I want to seem more forward in the mix. I might also have a second reverb send/bus for the lead vocal and maybe lead guitar or synth with a shorter tail which I will automate to seem to give these leads more body.

You might use some reverb on individual tracks to give them a more individual sound but too much reverb with long tails can sound like listening to 2 stereos in a big cave and it will eat your CPU.

My 2 cents... just be careful to make your own mind up though, the next person might come along and tell you something completely different.

well, your question will be best answered by you but here's something to guide you with. You can produced it conceptualized or how you want it in your mix in other words taste.

This is my own terms to I hope I want get heat on this :). reverb application can depend on how you conceptualized the sound, are you aiming it to be modulated to create space? to place it somewhere in your soundstage? then if thats the case adjust it till you get what you want to happen or what you conceptualized.
For taste this usually dependent on how you want it to come out it your mix. To better explain say you want to put a reverb on a stab lead line. your reverb will depend how you want that stab to be present in your mix. Would you want it blended or you want it to shine out?

reverb is a very powerful effect in music production but just like any other tool you should now how to use it in order to maximize its use. Cheers!

Back