How Important Is Compression?!

zuulmusic

How Important Is Compression?!

I have a home studio that me and my band use.
I use a 20 channel recording counsole and run it into a computer to record. I have a few rackmount effects processors and crap. Should i get a compressor? how badly do i need it and what would i use it on/for?

Thanks

Yeah you need a compressor. A compressor is prolly the most essential and important part of my effects and i dont look at it as an effect. i heard a good analogy once that compressors were like water, dull and boring, but absolutely important. anyway i dont see compression as boring as it always adds the spice i need to make a track alive. like say you record your drummer and without a compressor all the hit might not sound as loud as possible cus perhaps the sanre or the kick is being too loud. signal reduction (or vice versa) is an important issue that youll pass along to se someday. also a compressor will most likely be pressent at a mix down limiting stage. nearly all the time i at least compress a full mix just to make everything a lil bit louder (or a lot). but all it is is getting used to your own sound out of compressors. everyone has theyr own tricks. for now all your rack units or effects may have a ompressor built in somewhere. use these until you find a hardware (or software) version you like. and mainly its best to use it on drums and vocals (especially vocals). but you can always set a compressor to any signal even if it doesnt change anything sonically. hope this helps!

Yea i built up my studio over last few years and for 2 of em didntt have a compressor. Wow what a difference it made. Tip tho - don't go for a cheap compressor because its your first and you dont want to spend money on something not so 'interesting'. Spend as much as possible - it really makes a difference. I learned that the expensive way

Well. I have some money and plan on buying two speakers and a power amp, but after that im lookin to spend some more on equipment.
The two best microphones I have are the $20 dynamic NADY ones from musiciansfriend.com , and i like them, but i think i may need to get (a) better one(s). I was thinking maybe a cheaper condenser mic.
So basically my option is to either buy mic stuff, or a compressor.

-And about spending the most on a compressor that i possibly can---what about a $100 two channel NADY one (CL-5000). I figure maybe its a higher quallity for the price because its two channels versus 4 or more.

thanks

No. Don't get the $100 compressor. You need to spend more. I know money is tight but seriously - that compressor will be trash.

Dbx make good cheap compressors ($180 or so and up) and Samson have just released some new ones too ($150). These are still cheap and im sure they out perform Behringers, Alesis and NADY units hands down.

Back