How to deal with electrocution problems in my studio

Parablue

Hi there,
I currently own a home studio and i have been having electrocution problems. Especially from my bass amp, everytime i plug my bass guitar in, i will get electricity biting my fingers. I am using an Ampeg BA115 bass amp. But the problem isn't just the bass amp, even for mine guitar amp, Marshall VS100, i am getting electrocution issues that seems to come from the bridge when i play. I tried changing sockets, but it gives the same problem. I have already changed all the sockets for these 2 amps, converting to 3 pin sockets with grounding. The guitar amp and bass amp are connected to different power sockets in the room.
The issue extends even for my PA, when i use my Presonus Firepod, sometimes i also do get electrocuted when my hand touches the edge, or sometimes from my pc as well.
I am now thinking of getting power conditioners to solve my problems, but do they really make a difference in this issue. I am currently wearing rubber slippers to solve this problem, but can anyone give ideas about how i can solve the issue???
What is the actual cause of this problem???

PS: Hope you can tell me fast as long as i am still alive.....:bigeyes:

is everything grounded and is your electric system solid build from quality components. if not, that's the problem.

if yes, i don't know what it may be. Maybe a power conditioner can help, but i don't know actually.

How do you define grounded?? The only grounding i know is to change my power socket on my power cable coming out of the amps to 3 pins where one of the wire would be the earth wire. As for the electric system, i am just using normal house wall sockets.
Are there special ways to ground my equipment??

A vist from a professional electrician would be much cheaper than a visit to the emergency room...

Don't mess with electrical unless you *really* know what you're doing - You either get an "A" or a "F" - There's little in between.

It is hard to say what the problem is without actually getting in there with a meter. I would start by buying a 3 prong tester for your receptacles, they will indicate no ground or incorrect wiring for receptacles. If that is doesn't indicate a problem more then likely but no guarntee you can move onto your equipment or cables. It is difficult to try to diagnose these problems without seeing what is going on in your home. If you aren't very experienced with electricity then definetly hire a pro, not somebodys buddy who has installed a receptacle by following the instructions of a teenager at a home improvement store and now considers himself a electrician. In the trade we usually say that it isn't a matter of whether or not you get electrocuted but when you get electrocuted cause it will happen. Also if I am following you correctly you changed your receptacles to the grounding type(3 prong) from a non grounding type(2 prong), you still won't have a actual ground at that receptacle just a third prong (depending on how your house is wired) which is not up to code and is dangerous, also your receptacles may have a reverse polarity on them white wire to silver screw black to gold screw. Just trying to look out for you, make sure you get this problem fixed soon before somebody gets hurt.

Man it feels good to be posting again, been too long.

Are you barefoot? because you can not be electrocuted if you no are grounded(like the birds at the power wires at the streets) i think you problem is Static where you are charged whit power and when you touch the 1/4 plug you discharge it, let me know

@ Ian: You don't necessarily have to be grounded to be shocked and it won't necessarily go through your feet. Electricty is kind of looking for a place to go so anything with a difference of potential will conduct.

I am hoping that parablue knows the difference between static electricity and actually being electrocuted but I guess anything is possible.

jason176 said:
@ Ian: You don't necessarily have to be grounded to be shocked and it won't necessarily go through your feet. Electricty is kind of looking for a place to go so anything with a difference of potential will conduct.

I am hoping that parablue knows the difference between static electricity and actually being electrocuted but I guess anything is possible.

i think no

Back