Home studio & cinema adjacent to eachother....

kang

Hi there guys, i need some advice one sound proofing my studio.

Basically if all goes well then i'll be moving house in the 1st week of May. The house we are moving into has a huge games room and 2 offices.

My dad wants to turn the games room into a home cinema with a huge screen, the full works and my dad said i can use one the offices for my studio.

This brings me onto my question...

Would it be ok to sound proof the cinema & studio as one unit and then sound proof the partition wall serpating the two rooms? Or would it be best to sound proof each room individually?

Here is a rough drawing of the room layouts....

sndprf.jpg

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

kang said:
Hi there guys, i need some advice one sound proofing my studio.

Basically if all goes well then i'll be moving house in the 1st week of May. The house we are moving into has a huge games room and 2 offices.

My dad wants to turn the games room into a home cinema with a huge screen, the full works and my dad said i can use one the offices for my studio.

This brings me onto my question...

Would it be ok to sound proof the cinema & studio as one unit and then sound proof the partition wall serpating the two rooms? Or would it be best to sound proof each room individually?

Here is a rough drawing of the room layouts....

sndprf.jpg

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

If Daddy Warbucks is paying, do them both, so you can have options.

Else, just do your side.

I'd imagine if you want to have good acoustics in your cinema you'd sound proof the rooms individually.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm gonna start looking into contractors who deal with home studio n cinema sound proofing.

Prince - Yeah i guess i am lucky. My parents are doin it coz they are sick of hearin the same beat till 4am! lol

In my old house it was ok coz my gear was in a room on the other side of the house.

Then we moved into a much smaller house for the time being and my bedroom became my lab which is right next to my parents room.

Now if all goes well we'll be moving again, this time for the last time and i'll have a proper lab and i wont need to worry about wakin anyone up durin my late night sessions.

Also does anyone from the UK have any info in regards to contractors or firms who deal with sound proofing. This is something i dont wanna try doing myself as i would no doubt mess it up.

I would wait to go all out if I knew I was going to be moving again. Even if you do have the money to spend.

Consider getting a good headphone amp and headphones and a vocal booth instead. I'm thinking along the lines of the booths that are used for broadcast. These are pricey but it's something that you can move and integrate into a new setup.

Something like this:

http://www.soundsuckers.com/booths.htm#booths

So you can do recording even late night but you'd monitor through headphones or low levels. You can save the mixing for daytime and handle odds and ends in the night time.

This way you can still use the headphone amp and headphones and vocal booth when you go to a new place.

You can also spend money on acoustic treatment which you can take down and use in a new build if needed.

For maximum sound isolation you'll be looking at building a room within a room that would separate the inside room physically as much as possible from the actual room.

Thanks for the reply Sleepy.

The design i uploaded is for the new house we are gonna move into... we aren't gonna move again once we've moved into that house.

Sorry if i confused you and made you think i was gonna move again.

Back