Help choosing gear

H

hustler12ga

Hey, i been making music for about 6 months now, and i want to upgrade my recording equipment. I run everything on Cubase vst 32, so i think that i want to keep things running through the computer.
Im thinking about spending around $2000.
I was thinking about buying a korg triton and an MPC 1000, maybe if i find one of those used, and a mixer.
Tell me what you think i should get, i definetly need a better keyboard.

Thanks....

It really depends on what you already have, and what kind of music are you making. But, in general terms (and this is only a suggestion) I'd say get a good keyboard controller, a good rack mount synth module, a couple VST soft synths, and a quality audio interface. Like I said though, it depends on what you already have.

An example of what I would get if I were in your shoes is as follows:
  • Korg MicroKONTROL MIDI Controller (if you don't mind small keys). It costs $299, and gives you keys + drum pads.
  • Reason 2.5 (Software Synth Rack). $349
  • Emu Module (Proteus 1000, MoPhatt, XL1, etc. depending on your stlye of music). $300-$500.
  • 828mkII FireWire Hard Disk Recording System (Audio interface, etc.). $799.

This is just one example of how you could build out your kit. Just an example. Everyone on this board could offer you a different list, so don't go get this stuff because somebody in here tells you to. Do your research, and come up with a "kit" you like. Start small though, and learn what you have really well. Then move on to the next item. That way you'll know everything you have like the back of your hand, as opposed to having a bunch of stuff you only know a little.

really from what i know of MPCs, you dont really need one. if you are running cubase then you have everything that an mpc will have. like i said this is from my limited knowledge of mpcs. really if you get a program like native instruments konakt then you will be set as far as tweaking samples. for instance, i took a crash cymbal and turned it into the sound that is in the matrix. you know when neo touched the mirror and the silver metalic liquid stuff goes down his throat? well i got that from just a crash cymbal.

like the guy before me told you, it really depends on what kind of music you are writen. i would suggest the e-mu brand of equipment, they make some good ****. also reason is rewirable to cubase so you could get that and have them talking back and forth to each other. really if you learn about waves and how to alter them, you dont need a lot of equipment, because you can make your own sounds with osc, filters, and so on. i know a lot of people go out and buy buy buy 50 synths because of the different sounds they make. well that is just wasting money if you ask me. you could take one synth, like the cs-80v1 and make almost any sound you want, as far as pads, bass, and so on goes. you have to actually get something for drums that is seperate, if you use drums at all.

do your research, like the other guys said, dont go get it becaue i told you to. everyone does things differently, the end result is all the matters in the long run.

one luv,
joseph n.

Hey can you tell me exactly what Korg microkontrol does. Is it only a midi controler for sequencers, and is it worth the money. I cant find a lot of info on the internet about it, and does it have a lot of sounds drums and its quality?
And what the difference between Korg microkontro and Korg micro is? Thnaks

i dont really know about this midi controller you are talking about so i can't say too much about it, but i do know there are a lot of great controllers out there... the more knobs and sliders you have, the better you will be able to control your software better. i use the m-audio radium 61key (i dont really know the exact number of keys).

good luck.

Back