cpu's

B

baine

yo, my name is baine. im biulding a studio and im going to be using the mpc & pro tools. I need advice on what kind of processor i should invest in and how much Gb's and memory will i need.

any suggestions will do.
thank you for your time.

baine :bat:

For future reference, this should probably go in Computer Tweaks and Setup.

I would go no less than 2.0GHz and 1GB of RAM. Be aware that you will need to match the processor with the chipset on the motherboard, and also the RAM type and speed with that of the motherboard (you want to get all the performance out of the parts you buy; don't buy slower RAM than the motherboard will take). I recommend DDR400, or DDR2 if you can afford it.

As for processors, don't use Intel Celeron. I don't care how "fast" it might be on paper. You might try AMD Opteron for a low cost, decent solution - solid multitasking abilities. There is always the Intel Pentium4 if you like raw speed, or the AMD Athlon is also a good, or Athlon64 (if you want to play around with running a 64bit OS now or in the future).

Personally, I would go with an AMD Athlon. AMD runs much cooler than the Pentium4. That said, you want a good CPU cooler regardless. Look into *copper* (not aluminum) Thermaltake or CoolerMaster CPU coolers. This is important - I had a P4 2.8GHz running with the stock aluminum cooler at almost 60 Celsius *idle*. I could *feel* it lagging. Put a copper CoolerMaster with heatpipes on it, and it dropped to 43 Celsius. Runs like a dream. Heck, it boots almost twice as fast.

Last edited:
A good speed will be around 2.8 ghz-3.4ghz and a good memory size is 1gb-4gb a AMD__i forgot the rest of the name but its a dual processor is a hot processor or you can jsut buy a computer from www.sweetwater.com built just for pro tools

Try one of the Spectral Computers. They are preoptimized for audio aplications and surround sound. You can get a cubic one, the cheapest, or select from two different racmount computers. You can also contact them if you want one biult to you specific neeedes like disc speed ram and what not. They are pricy though, expect to spend and least 1000 dollars, but it is well worth it because they are made just for this.

www.spectralcomputers.com

audiotecnicality said:
For future reference, this should probably go in Computer Tweaks and Setup.

I would go no less than 2.0GHz and 1GB of RAM. Be aware that you will need to match the processor with the chipset on the motherboard, and also the RAM type and speed with that of the motherboard (you want to get all the performance out of the parts you buy; don't buy slower RAM than the motherboard will take). I recommend DDR400, or DDR2 if you can afford it.

As for processors, don't use Intel Celeron. I don't care how "fast" it might be on paper. You might try AMD Opteron for a low cost, decent solution - solid multitasking abilities. There is always the Intel Pentium4 if you like raw speed, or the AMD Athlon is also a good, or Athlon64 (if you want to play around with running a 64bit OS now or in the future).

Personally, I would go with an AMD Athlon. AMD runs much cooler than the Pentium4. That said, you want a good CPU cooler regardless. Look into *copper* (not aluminum) Thermaltake or CoolerMaster CPU coolers. This is important - I had a P4 2.8GHz running with the stock aluminum cooler at almost 60 Celsius *idle*. I could *feel* it lagging. Put a copper CoolerMaster with heatpipes on it, and it dropped to 43 Celsius. Runs like a dream. Heck, it boots almost twice as fast.

woa that was a detailed post!
hey do you know why celerons are so hated? every IT guys i speak to seems to not like it

Ack, sorry - got my names backwards. *Sempron* is a good low-cost AMD chip. Opteron is the server version of the Athlon64 (also comparably cheap compared to Intel Itanium or Xeon).

Intel Celeron and AMD Sempron were both designed to be low-cost (and therefore inherently lower-performance) versions of their Pentium and Athlon lines, respectively. It's just that Celerons don't really perform that great, even for a low-cost chip. Certainly nowhere near the specs they're sold at. It's not really worth paying 30% less when you lose 50% performance, see? Better to get a lower-end Pentium or Athlon, or a good Sempron. But most people don't know the difference between chipsets...all they look at is the "gigahertz" as they put it...

For example, my P3 900MHz desktop beats the pants off my 2.4GHz Celeron laptop (there is a hard-disk-speed factor, but the processors play a big part).

Last edited:
Back