Computer Set up

W

westease

I have alot of money saved up and I want to get aa nice computer and some recording equipment. I want tobuy a mac G5 but I do not know all of the specs that I would need. What kind of sound card or audio input card do I need.

Use the search feature for sound card suggestions. also check out homerecording.com.Look into hammerfall,m audio,echo,e-mu.
A lot of people recommend getting two hard drives for an audio computer, one for the OS and one for audio.
Also it's a good idea to get a DVD burner(holds more data) so you can back up your hard drive. You want at least 512 mb ram and even a gig if you plan to run lots of vsts and such.

you said you saved up "a lot" of money"..

if you were a little bit more precise on the amount i guess more people could help you if they knew your budget.. ;)

Get a dual processor G5, anyone will do. I would actually suggest you save some money by getting a G4 dual 1.42. Make sure you get the superdrive with either one. Get another hardrive like a Maxtor or something for the audio. Also, have atleast 512mb of ram. You don't need 2 gigs or any .... like that. I only have 512mb on my G4 and never have maxed it out recording, mixing, or anything.
Soundcard wise, I would recommend something from Motu. www.motu.com
I use the 2408 MKIII, but depending on what your needs are you might want something different. If you have anymore questions just ask. Oh and one more thing. Don't buy the Apple monitor unless you just wanna spend your money. You can get something like a 17inch Kogi alot cheaper and with a crystal clear picture.

Back