celeron good enough for DAW?

S

SoulSauce

i've been using p2 for a while now and am think of upgrading to a more powerful computer. it will be used for all recording and playback. my concern is whether or not a celeron processor is a wise choice. with a lower cache and bus sizes compared to a pentium, i want to be sure it's going to be able to handle the work i give it without any lags. anybody had good or bad experience with the celeron?

Not a wise choise.

The fact (not opinion) is that at this moment the best choice (in price/perfomance) for a DAW is P4 HT.

No more than half an year ago AMD might have been a better choice. But after 2,4 GHz, Pentium is a better choice. In future when 64bit OS:s arrive, AMD might take the lead again.

Goodall said:
Celeron is the slower budget version of a Pentium.

Yeah for realz. Your CPU power gets used up so quick by the smallest applications and it very slow at processing which can become a bother when editing real-time music.

Celeron is not great to intesence applications such as audio and video.
P4 runs faster and cooler.
Most applications do not support Celeron.

wwww.MixlineEnt.com

Like everyone said - don't get a celeron if you have a choice.

Prescott (the new Intel chip) was just released, but it's performance doesn't shine over the latest generation of P4's. A good buy right now is the P4 2.8GHz 800MHz CPU. Also, the AMD64 chips pack brute force for about the same $$$ as that P4 chip - no, there are not any 64 bit apps yet, but the AMD64 chips are very attrative none-the-less.

If you getting an DAW today, look into those CPUs.

DJXodus said:

P4 runs faster and cooler.
Most applications do not support Celeron.

Faster, but definitely not cooler. And if an application supports a Pentium 4/3/2/1, it will support any AMD processor, and a Celeron.

But yes, a Pentium 4 would be a better buy. Although an AMD Barton 2500+ is not a bad buy at all when paired with an Nforce 2 board and dual channel DDR ram.

The Pentium shines in video applications but Audio is pretty much in the air unless optimized for either processor extnesions.

What you should worry about more is the hard drive that you are purchasing since the hard drive is hands down the things that bottlenecks performance more.

sleepy said:
What you should worry about more is the hard drive that you are purchasing since the hard drive is hands down the things that bottlenecks performance more.

Good point. I definitely recommend the WD Raptor HD - the only non-SCSI 10,000 rpm HD available at the moment. It connects via SATA, so make sure your mobo supports that.

A celeron will suffice if you are just doing multitracking with outboard/DSP FX and mixing. But if you want to run VST's then the P4 is much better value.

thanks ya'll. you basically confirmed what i was already thinking. just what i needed to hear.

well i had a 500mhz Celeron which didnt run cubase. I bought those cheapo Dell Celeron 2.8ghz pc and upgraded it to 1ghz ram. Works freaking great with Cubase SX2. dont think its not going to do the job. but then again it works great for me because my needs are different then ppl that need more power that record a whole band. i use a keyboard and bass and mic thats all i need and it does the job perfect. Dont knock a Celeron or a AMD. AMD is just as good as a P4. i think a AMD generate more heat. Celeron is a budget p4. u know like Home version of XP and Professional Version of XP. not much difference to me and as far as im concern, HT aint shyt.

I think U should upgrade 2 a Pentium 4 comp with Windows XP Professional . With da most hard drive & memory U can afford. Celerons are more vunerable 2 hackers especially if Ur linked 2 da internet. Most of Ur appz & updated versions in my opinion run better on P4. AMD's also are just as good as P4's. I still can't believe how some people get ripped off by dealers who R still tryin' 2 sell those dinosaurs 2 them. Till dis day!!! Bunch Of Skunks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not more or less succeptible to hacks depending on your processor. That is a completely different thing. Other than that, I agree with Noiz.:D

I am an AMD user and am happy with my processor. Do keep in mind that, as already posted, AMD processor generate more heat. This leads to a rather noisy processor fan which can get into your recordings if not treated right.

Back