calling all equipment guru's and dali llamas / equipment issue

j-traxx

Hey guys i just made the jump into the mac world for not that much money so was able to also get an mbox from digidesign and i got about 250 buckaroos left and i would like to know what piece of equipment for your studio would you suggest for a guy with 250 burning a hole in his pocket. thanks for your supreme knowledge in this matter.

Maybe a small tube preamplifier, to "warm up" the sounds you track to the mbox, that'd work with the budget maybe. Not sure which model but I saw the budget and thought about this.

A good Power COnditioner (or better: Regulator) would be a good thing to have anyways - I have a PL-PLUS by Furman, it's a conditioner.

perhaps a midi controller? oxy 8 or edirol pc-30?

or try to get a stereo tube pre also, so you can run your whole mix through it at once.

or beer :)

cool. i never thought about a tube pre. what is the one that you use mano1? and anyone else with suggestions cause i'm only gonna get a chance to blow this money away one time :D

thanks alot for the responses guys. mucho thanks.

I dont have a tube pre at the moment actually.

On my Pulsar 2 sound card I run most signals through a device called VINCO, basically it's a modelled UREI/UA 1176 compressor/limiter, that gives a bit of charm to the signals.

stkee phl0 said:
what do you have already? I know you have a motif. haha

i got the motif7

a peavey xr600c powered mixer/amp

with a 9 band master eq and a 3 band eq per channel but i blew it twice and it's really yogurt sounding now. i'm waiting for my mac and mbox to arrive soon next week. i use my home theater system for monitoring and it does sound too nice if you ask me. imma invest in some event 20/20 studio reference monitors soon. but for now the pre looks good but i'm open to more suggestions.

j-traxx said:

i use my home theater system for monitoring and it does sound too nice if you ask me.

I thought I was the only one who uses his home theatre/stereo system! haha
hmm. Have you thought about getting more sounds?

yes i have bought more sounds but i dont need to use them just yet. i havent exhausten the sounds of my motif yet.

stkee phl0 said:

I thought I was the only one who uses his home theatre/stereo system! haha
hmm.

how about a prehistoric sony hi/fi! I have to mix and master all my trax on a friends system. :(

my world for a decent set of monitors.

Back