Buliding a Computer vs. Buying a DELL

J

JondaSutra

Can anyone lead me in the right direction as far as the best possible specs on building a MONSTER AUDIO MACHINE. Or is it safer to just buy a $1,200 DELL.

If you know how to build one then build it! For about the same price of a Dell computer, building it you will get higher performance parts.

Dell doesnt offer any of those parts, they stick a high end proccessor on a low end motherboard, and some other generic parts to keeps their costs down.

Building it yourself will also keep you aware of what is in the machine in the first place.

Secondly you buy the Dell you're still going to have to add some more parts to bring the computer up to audio work standards. i.e. second hard drive, better soundcard, possibly another video card (if you want to use 2 screens).

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Huh huh.... dude your getting a DELL!!!

lol

but on the real - CubaseRox covered it. Even if you dont know how to make one, you can always get your computer nerd friend (everyone has one) to build it. $5 of candy from 7-11 and the new PC mag should cover it...

Dell doesnt offer any of those parts, they stick a high end proccessor on a low end motherboard, and some other generic parts to keeps their costs down

Don't believe that unless you can see specs, tests, etc. It's one of those things people say without any backing.

When buying or building a computer, consider troubleshooting and support. You get a problem a few months down the road, who you gonna call? if
one component is defective how will you find it? if you're not trained in this, get a custom built or a dell with 1-3 year warranty.

7thSense said:
Don't believe that unless you can see specs, tests, etc. It's one of those things people say without any backing.

I dont have to see them, Dell doesnt offer ASUS mobo's they most likely use generic memory sticks, and they mention the "Intel" CPU to make it appear as if the computer is top of the line. Dell, Gateway, Compaq and HP are good for home and light office duty. I wouldn't buy one for audio work. It is possible like I said earlier but you would still have to modify it a bit. In that case you may as well build one from the ground up.

When buying or building a computer, consider troubleshooting and support. You get a problem a few months down the road, who you gonna call?

I think this thread Here will sum up how good Dell computers tech support is.

if one component is defective how will you find it?

Computers now perform a POST (power on self test) for all the devices attached to it. If something is defective you will see the red LED lights. All you would have to do is follow the LED chart from the motherboard to troubleshoot. If it passes POST the lights will then be green.

CubaseRox said:

I dont have to see them, Dell doesnt offer ASUS mobo's they most likely use generic memory sticks, and they mention the "Intel" CPU to make it appear as if the computer is top of the line. Dell, Gateway, Compaq and HP are good for home and light office duty. I wouldn't buy one for audio work. It is possible like I said earlier but you would still have to modify it a bit. In that case you may as well build one from the ground up.
Well thats one narrow minded way to look at it. Of course they dont offer Asus motherboards they only use custom made Intel boards. Check your info before posting crap like this dell offer some of the best motherboards around, sure they may have a lock on the FSB so that it'll only run stock speeds but who cares when the rest of it is so good.

not that i have ANY real technical knowledge....BUT i think dells are great. its not like they are the best you can get, or build. (and hopefully no ones buyion one thinkin that its the hot sh1t...) but they are definitely solid, they are cheap, and regardless of whats been said, i personally have had only good responses from customer support. although ive had hardly ANY problems with it.

check this out. i ran a dell with xp and 128 of ram for a while. for real. and it worked fantastic. i did all the 'tweaks' to it. and i managed to run an amazing amount of vsts with it. it wasnt flawless, and by the end of a track itd be hurtin. but it worked. and for a what-$400?- machine to run twenty tracks and four or five thick vsts is pretty amazing.

thats my little story to show that dells arent so bad.

but if you know how to build a RELIABLE computer, you prolly should.....

peace.

mungo said:
Check your info before posting crap like this dell offer some of the best motherboards around

I opened a few Dells and believe me it looks like I could make the MB I saw. e.g. 3 PCI slots, 2 resistors, 2 diodes and a solder point every 4 inches

And I wouldnt be posting things like "Dell offer some of the best motherboards around" when you got people with high-performance ASUS boards in their PC's.

sure they may have a lock on the FSB so that it'll only run stock speeds but who cares when the rest of it is so good.

And what good is that may I ask? Thats like buying a Corvette Z06 or a Porsche 911 Turbo with a governor on the engine.

Last edited:
I reckon you want build one yourself bro...PM me for specs if you are considering doing so...

Or go look through the "Computer tweaks" section...as ive posted alot about this subject lately...or just do a search.

And what good is that may I ask? Thats like buying a Corvette Z06 or a Porsche 911 Turbo with a governor on the engine.
So everything is runninng at the stock speed, overclocking can be fun but you generally dont do it on a serious work machine. I was pointing out that much of what gets slagged off on internet forums about dell motherboards is of no merit.

I opened a few Dells and believe me it looks like I could make the MB I saw. e.g. 3 PCI slots, 2 resistors, 2 diodes and a solder point every 4 inches
So? All manufacturers make budget boards. Take a peek inside one of their workstations some time.

I have said this many times on this board, you get what you pay for. Dells end up a little more expensive (mostly because you have to buy windows with the machine) but they are great quality machines and dell dont mind if you make upgrades yourself.

^^ I am not knocking Dell at all, in fact I would even consider buying one over the competition. I just think for serious audio production you might be better off using a custom built PC.

I did say earlier that if you did buy a Dell, you would have to modify it a bit to bring it up to audio creation standards. I never said "it sucks and you cant use it". But thats with any store bought PC.

I only meant that if your gonna have to open the thing anyway it would be better to just build the thing from the ground up instead of trying to revamp an existing machine.

But over all I meant that building a PC yourself would allow you to have more control over the actual parts that go inside of it.

I hope this clarifies what I said. :)

So since you have to put a soundcard in, you should just build your own???
that's the only mod you really need.

The real deals with Dell are in the business division, check there every few days to find their incredible deals or whatever they call it. They offer gold support for the business bought computers. Priority treatment, you want a part replaced they replace it.

7thSense said:
So since you have to put a soundcard in, you should just build your own???
that's the only mod you really need.

Well... I would add a dedicated audio drive too. And possbily upgrade the RAM if its low to begin with.

OK OK OK, sorry about the Mac comment (even though thats what I recommend), but I have worked on PC's in the past. I bought one of those gBox's from directron.com and put the processor, hd, ram, etc. into it. Seemed to boot a lot faster than my brothers Gateway with the same specs. Plus you can control what software comes on it, etc. I'd never buy a Dell though. Too many of my friends have had problems with them, especially laptops.

Like my man said do right the 1st time and get a Mac. I myself got a Dell when starting out and it to be honest it is "ok" in other word it will work on a scale of 10 rate at about a 7. BUT as you get more into your music and take on more work trust me you will find ya self wishing you got a G4 Mac. it is simple as this go to any real studio I talkin real studio and I sure you they have a Mac or some other CPU they paid crazy amt of $$$ for Hey if you want A Dell I will sell you mine, I aint gona front the tech support is NICE but apple should offer the same.

I have the Echo Gina 24 and so does 2 of my friends.

The card is very good but dont get one from that site. They discontinued the Gina 24 so you can get one cheaper now on ebay.

eBay

Echo makes the 3G now which is probably better.

Echo Audio

Last edited:
In referance to all the MAC ADDICTS, all i have to say is i put in a billion dollars in PC programs. I cant switch.

Back