Boxed Sound Of A Room

c joker

Anyone know how to get rid of the "boxed" sound of a room.....

is it the preamp ? or the mic ?

because i took the preamp outta the mix and it changed the sound didnt sound as boxy or is it just me ?

yea it sounds like sing in the box....its a room (bedroom) im not sure imma say about 10ft wide 8ft high.....

Well, that should be okay. How far do you sing away from the mic head? When you pull away from the mic, you can hear more of the room acoustics, which can give it a boxy sound. 4-6 inches is good. Do you have any other effects in the chain, like reverb? Reverb will really magnify any reflections in your room, especially if you have early reflections turned on. It'll really give it that 'singing in the bathroom' feel. Oh, and what's your pre-amp?

No room treatment (goin to in a couple of days)

i rap about a few inches from the mic....

i took off my preamp (ART TUBE MP)
and use the stock one on the Echo 3g Gina and it sounded better ??
any reason why ??

Pre-amps will make your recordings darker or thinner in certain frequencies, but they shouldn't make it 'boxy'. The 'boxy' typically comes from the room mainly, the effects, the distance from the mic. It may be that the pre is better at getting the whole spectrum than the stock one. Think of it like a telescope. A better one will help you see more stars, but they were there all the time. Obviously, though, if one pre is magnifying unflattering aspects of your room, take it out or treat the room. In the end, you've got to make it work the best you can with what you've got.

If you don't believe it, you can do a test. Hook up your mp3 player or some other noise maker to your pre and then listen to the output. Does it sound boxy? If not, then your problem is in the room. If it is, then the pre or something else in the chain is the problem. Good Luck!

Should have got a decent dynamic mic. Not much you can do other than treet the room. It's not the mic, it's not the pre, it's not the interface, it's the room.

yea thats what i thought in the original was the suspect...gonna treat it later this week...thanks

Back