Basslines?

What is a good program or synth to produce the best Basslines?

Studio Electronics Omega 8

if you want the very best (if there is a "real" "best")

minimoog

sequencial circuits Pro One or Prophet 5

Arp Odyssey

A good ole Fender Jazz Bass with kickass mics and good amp/preamp combo along with

most analog synths (not talking modelisation, not things like nord lead if you want the "best", thing's not bad tho)

Roland TB303 eventually (the only thing in the list under $2000, if you can find one)

here ya go, I hope you got loads of $$$ most of the stuff up there is over 2000, 3000, 4000 even 5000 bucks a piece, but you asked for the best.

WAY THE **** OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE!!!!!
first I should ask how do i construct a bassline then i will decide if i need to pursue "the best" cause of now im still learning and at the moment i don't know how I've created a few but there uhmm bass guitar style im wondering how do i make other varieties ie no "(plucking)"sounding ones
make sence?

so you really should get a real electric bass, you can find decent ones for 200$ used or new

it's not really hard to play, I mean, there's no specific technique you have to learn before you can actually play it, just cut your fingernails and play it.

it's actually cool so you get to understand how string instruments work, so it's not a loss anyway.

if you like electro bass sounds, there's the sequencial circuits pro one, that can be found between $200/$600 price range (paid mine $500 but I'm in europe so they might be cheaper in US), I'm using that one for bass, leads, and also as an analog filter for all my other instruments (it has an audio input).

I'm not into plugins but I never heard any that was as good as either a real bass either a good ole analog synth.

as for beuilding a bass line (I assume its for hip hop/groove tracks) there's one "rule" to make it easier (you don't have to stick to the rule everytime, but it's good if you begin with that):

stick to the bassdrum, build your bassline on the bassdrum sequence, you can give or take a few notes but basically, use the bassdrum sequence to build your bassline.

then there's a little "trick" (well, call it a trick unless you're used to jazz music and harmony)

if you get some chord, you don't have to put the bass that "goes" with the chord, for example, you got a

CM7 chord (C/E/G/B)

on that chord you can put a bass in C so it's a CM7

but for example, if you play your bass in A on the same chord, it becomes an Am9

depending on how your chords grid is built you can make some of those "tricks" to get it to another flavour.

but again that's music theory, learning it would be a good thing overall, if you don't already know about it.

thanks but......
I just finished saying i dont want a plucked sound ie bass guitar

so look for some oldschool monophonic synth

scequencial Pro One is dope

I had a microkorg for a few months too, wasn't bad either but it's not real analog.

If you cant affor expensive synths you could always do what a lot of hip-hop producers do, and just sample an 808 kick drum and make your bass from that...

el cheapo....i would go with a microkorg....or a used korg ms2000 (even new the rack version is around 500)

or a emu mophatt sound module(or even proteous)-there are some good presets, and you can use the filters to create some original sounds. The basic sub bass is very nice. Plus you will get some good hiphop drums. There is a sine wav sample on there where youc an add to any bass to really get it to boom.

go to http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/
click on the synth, and look for the download link. Its all free. It says its for the mpc series, but it will work in any sampler. or youcan translate the format.

and download the free moog bass multisamples..they are in .wav format.plus there are some more bass samples.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly is your price range? These are some good softsynths with amazing bass sounds!http://zzounds.com/item--EWEMAJESTIC
http://zzounds.com/item--ARAMMV
http://zzounds.com/item--ARAMINIMOOG
http://zzounds.com/item--SPCTRILOGY

Or if you want, I'd highly recommend getting a Moog Micromoog! You could get these for like 400 on ebay, and it's well worth the price! My friend owns this and he could pump out some of the fattest, clearest bass sounds using this and some audio effects software! This is a great synth to invest in...

my price range is basicly any thing under a grand
have you tried any of the software you posted links 4 Trilogy in perticular
and what was the first one I've never heard of it
man I don't know im gonna just keep my eyes and ears open for deals on the older synths and look out for some demos on the softs

187 said:
my price range is basicly any thing under a grand
have you tried any of the software you posted links 4 Trilogy in perticular
and what was the first one I've never heard of it
man I don't know im gonna just keep my eyes and ears open for deals on the older synths and look out for some demos on the softs
Yeah, becareful though, don't rush into buying stuff just cause you found a good deal...Anyways, the first one is a bass soundmodule, I have never used it, but it looks interesting and should have some nice sounds...I have however used Trilogy, and it's great! It also has nice synth basses, which is great for hip hop and RnB...I personally like these sounds, and I think it'll be a good product to invest in, but try to find a demo, I'm not sure if they have one, but they should...The minimoog is a great program too...My friend owns it, and his basses have a pretty fat sound, but I don't know much about programming synths, so that one didn't really catch my eye...See if you can demo all these to see which ones you like, and also ask more people for input on these products...

Keep the Micromoog in mind though...It's capable of producing deep, thick bass sounds! I'm trying to see if my friend will sell it to me...But anyways, if you're setting the limit at a grad, why not get the Motif Rack? It has some really nice bass sounds, and you'll get way more!

ima give you a little secret to making good basslines. this really comes only if you have a good ear for music. make your basic bassline according to the sequence of the kick drum (give or take)and the main chords, then once you do that where ever theres a gap fill it in with a different sequence of chords that are not the same chord that you originally used but chords that compliment the main chords of your song. It adds life to your bassline and ultimatly your song. if you listen to music especially hip hop beats, thats one of the key reasons that the beats sound so boring and repetetive. Producers in the industry do it all the time. song example: all falls down by kanye. listen to his bassline and youll see what im talking about as far as filling in the gaps with a different sequece of chords.

If you have an ear for music you wont figure it out though cuz you wont be creative enough to come up with the sequence or chords that compliment the beat. NO DISS TO ANYONE

thanks I'll try that uhmm yeah this might come off as dumb but what is considered a kickdrum in all of my experience theres hihats,toms,bassdrums,claps,rimshots,
ect is one of the above also known as kickdrums if so which ones
and they way you explained it is a lil confusing but when you say i gotta come up with another sequence of chords on top of the first one is this second chord u speak of bass? or another melody?
sorry im somewhat of a rook to all the technical stuff but luckly i have that "ear" for it you were talking about so ive been doing great without any knowlwedge on all that jazz I can make great sounds and sequences but im now just learning how to put it all together and damn is it tough its like really comlicated puzzle but yeah im wicked with the synths and drums and im slowly but surley learning the formula to a good bassline but i know theres more to a song than just three parts but its seems after i have 2 tracks or 3 at the most i don't know where to go from there you know what i mean? like it's allready rapable but it's still missing a few things
do you know of any books or sites that break down the "construction" of a hip hop song?
Ok now I really don't look like I have a clue but I do trust me I am very creative and come up with some **** that would blow your mind but its no use if i can never finish anything
feel me?
sorry about drifting way off topic but my original question has lead me to a bigger problem and thats BASIC SONG CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!

Sanguis Mortuum said:
you could always do what a lot of hip-hop producers do, and just sample an 808 kick drum and make your bass from that...

I HATE THAT!!!!! why people do that i dunno,my opinion,i think it's ridiculous,i like to hear kicks and basslines,not some fukkin morph.....i have a friend that does that,and all he can say is "my kicks be hittin,don't they?",.....of course they hittin cuz you turned them into bass.... to answer dude,a kickdrum is a bassdrum....and i'd say the best way for you to make good basslines is buy you a good keyboard....klasiq has a good method that i use from time to time

No one mentioned Trilogy yet? Best bang for your buck in the bass deparment, especially if you're not quite sure about the sound you're wanting. I really like old analogs, as most people do, but thing is most of them (especially the TB303) are more or less one-trick ponys. Cool for a certain sound, but not that versatile.

Back