Anyone know UNIX?

Conal

Sorry Mano - but could you wait to delete it for a little while.

Right coursework deadline about to come crashing down around my ears.

how do you actually run a program in unix.
Im in the server in a directory i have rights to, done a ls to see what is there and there is a prog i want to run (it is compiled) called gauss3

what do i do toget it to run? i can remember how i did it the last time.

here i am on screen:
hendrix:~/sparc/ ls
gauss gauss.c gauss3
hendrix:~/sparc/

Oh and to make it more relevant....
anybody running a studio on linux?

I've never seen any program that says it runs on Linux/Unix... No music related software that is...

To me, Unix/Linux, is only good for servers :)

I jsut corrupted the entire filestructure of my laptop... bye-bye windows... : /

All that works rigth on it now is Linux :)

i was thinking of doing some audio work on a linux box.....but there is definate a lack of prorgam to do so...

chekc out things liek WINE (WINdowz Emulator) maybe it'll work with something... I'll check it out once i finnish setting up ym box :) (still choosing distro)

If ya wanna try linux iwhtout installgin anythign (Or if you want to have the ultimate recsue disk) www.knoppix.net
LIVE filestructure on a CD.. as long as you can boot from yrou CD... you're good to go. :)

as for running the program chekc the man pages..

try ./Configure (if there is a config script)

I;m jsut learning through nessesity : /

GOODLUCK MAN!!!

Lemme know if ya hear of any good audio programs under linux :)

Conal said:
Sorry Mano - but could you wait to delete it for a little while.

Oh and to make it more relevant....
anybody running a studio on linux?

mmhh?? Why would I delete this thread?...

btw linux is not bad, but XP / NT is fine for audio.. I know plenty of unix people in academia who say it crashes A LOT because its all open source and there isnt much quality control on the apps you run.. its always some alpha / beta of some sort...

Before 2000 / XP I was all for this stuff... but now that it basically never crashes on me (when its setup right, just like with a linux box) Im fine with Windows

cos i want help with me home work rather than a discussion of the merits of one os over another.

Thanks but its a bit more fundamental i'm missing

I follow a step by step tutorial that tells me to compile the program with

gcc programname

then type in

a.out

and the thing should run

but all i get is

ksh: a.out: not found

even though it exits with an ls of the directory
i seem to remeber i have to type in some other character first

well first check that a.out has execute permissions for it:
ls -l
or if you just want to give it to the file:
og+rx a.out

but typing a.out should execute it. you can also compile it using the -o option to specify the output file name:
cc -o [output_file_name] [input_file_name]

you can also send the output of the program to a file:
a.out > output.txt

i take it this is probably just a hello world type c program?

Thanks for the suggestions i finally figured out how to get it to find the program by putting ./ before the file name to make it look in the current directory but now it says "program cannot be run"

I have set the permissions but i´ll have another look

It is a simple program (that i have run before in a class) that takes a few arguments does a big sum then returns the time taken to perform it.

I'll haven't got more time to waste on it and may have to file that module as "failed" - resit in the summer
oh well

yeah the ./ i shoudl have added. sometimes it's required. i think on both of my linux machines most c programs require that i run them via ./file but when i was at gatech i could type just the output file name.

i hated my c class and ended up failing it, but our second programming assignment was rewriting the string libraries. that was horrible! what os are you trying this on? linux on a home machine?

Through a Windows PC through a telnet screen to a university server called "Hendrix" and another called "Merlin". No GUI for me.

ah, well then there shuldn't be any issues. i live in telnet/ssh windows. all day long. completely killed the gui on my linux server as i decided it was of no use. :)

Back