100,000 To Blow On A Studio

Sycopath7

My freind has $100,000 to blow on an in home recording studio, but he doesnt kno at all about studio design or whut he needs to record. so without really taking price into consideration whut wood he need for a professional studio, and where shood he put it and all that?

we alredy kno like Microphones an things like that, but whut stuff is he gonna really need for this studio?

any help is apreciated

A professional acoustician, and someone to design the studio, building materials and high end acoustic treatment (bass traps - always needed, diffusors - sometimes, absorption..etc.) Deals on gear, mixin board, outboard gear..you know the deal.

Browse the studio design/acoustics forums on www.gearslutz.com youll find most of the information youll need there.

veck said:
A professional acoustician, and someone to design the studio, building materials and high end acoustic treatment (bass traps - always needed, diffusors - sometimes, absorption..etc.) Deals on gear, mixin board, outboard gear..you know the deal.

Browse the studio design/acoustics forums on www.gearslutz.com youll find most of the information youll need there.

Thanks, i apreciate it

100,000? well i can DEFFIANATELY HELP!!!

1st, i need a proper "evaluation" of the gear your "friend" needs. So i need an adress, and a description of you and your friend. Make sure you come alone, because my genius could be dulled by unwanted "guests"

ill only need 3 hours to go buy the gear, so you guys can grab some lunch while im out purchasing your gear.

i look forward to "helping" you out

peace
gutt(y)

Last edited:
veck said:

YES YES YES.

Honestly, if you don't know what you're getting into, just hire other people to do the whole thing, or don't do any of it at all. Seriously. It's real, real easy to just blow it all and have nothing to show for it.

Frank

That's crazy. Your friend knows nothing about recording but wants to drop $100k on a studio????? What's the history behind your friends urge to record music. Maybe he should start of small, or check out a pro studio to get the feel of the whole process before dropping that much money on something he knows nothing about.

What kind of music is he looking to record?

]

Kno1ills said:
That's crazy. Your friend knows nothing about recording but wants to drop $100k on a studio????? What's the history behind your friends urge to record music. Maybe he should start of small, or check out a pro studio to get the feel of the whole process before dropping that much money on something he knows nothing about.

It does seem like, "hey, I'm thinking about taking up sailing. What kind of boat would you buy for $100,000?".

That said, it's his money. I'd **strongly** urge him to find pro's to help him do all the critical stuff though. There's a whole bunch of sharks out there waiting for somebody with more money than experience...

Frank

Well since he's just starting up let him spend 10k on a studio and give me the rest lol. But yeah if he doesnt know about recording he should start of small and go on from there..

well he is trying to record rap music, he's bin in tha studio before, he rapped on countless tracks before, but thats tha thing becus he just raps he says he neva rilly payed attention to how everything works...

i guess he will be hiring professionals then

Sycopath7 said:
well he is trying to record rap music, he's bin in tha studio before, he rapped on countless tracks before, but thats tha thing becus he just raps he says he neva rilly payed attention to how everything works...

Then he shouldn't blow $100,000 on a studio. He should take some of that money and hire a company to put together a bill of materials for him based on his needs, then take some more of that money and hire a consultant (like Bob Hodas or somebody) to come out and evaluate his room; the consultant will tell you what to buy and where to put it in terms of acoustic treatment. That'll probably leave your friend with $80,000 or so...that's a very decent budget, and he'll know exactly what to get.

Of course, none of that will mean squat since he doesn't know how to use it, but it'll sure look good! :hello:

Frank

Well this isn't even necessary, but if you have 100G's to spend it sure would look cool.

http://www.vocalbooth.com/products/vocalboothseries.html

But honestly what is he trying to record. Is it just rap,R&B,everything cause that definetly can come into play. If your trying to fit a whole rock band in there your gear & walls are gonna be different than rap. If your just trying to produce and have dukes rap, you'll need to pay for your music making stuff (VSTs, drum pad, or whatever) Or if your only doing mastering you'll need top notch monitors.

Assuming your doing rap check this equipment for my dream 50K studio.

Good Pro-Tools HD Computer-$10,000
Tascam DM4800-$5,000
Mics-$6,000 (Neuman U87, AT460, & AKG SolidTube)
Good Preamps don't know which ones
And then get the room treated

Kno1ills said:
That's crazy. Your friend knows nothing about recording but wants to drop $100k on a studio????? What's the history behind your friends urge to record music.
I'm pretty sure his friend is a drug dealer, trying to "Clean" his money...using the studio as a "front".

Shiii.. thats lot of money for rap studio
i would get vintage U67 mic, vintage U87, profesional microphone mic stand, some good reel to reel tape recorder, vintage neve mixing console, yamaha ns10m monitors, adam s3a midfield monitors + sub, akai MPC, moog minimoog, universal audio 2192 adda digital convetor, focusrite 430 MK II + digital outputs mic preamp, vintage UREI 1176 compressor, distressor, eventide h8000 harmonizer, good PC or mac computer with pro tools hd 1 at last, buy some decent space that you will turn into studio, invest in acoustics and huge LCD SCREENS... COSTUMERS DONT CARE ABOUT GEAR THEY LOVE BIG SCREENS, PRO TOOLS N STUFF... and rest of money spend on poor ghetto people, seriously. :)

DJ_Illogix said:
screw a studio, id buy a house.

lol thats understandable, but my frend alredy has one, and yeah he's just gonna be doing rap, and every now and then sum rnb tracks.

i guess we are gonna hire pro's to do everything for us.

but the idea of buying out someone elses studio is a pretty good idea lol. dunno if itd work tho.

yeah get in touch with GIKAkoustics they are good people and will set you straight with your acoustics. id treat your room first then build around that ... but if you dont know what you are doing id get a professional to help or find a real good engineer and have him help you they are usually very knowledgeable with gear and if you dont know what you are doing the engineer is going to be the one utilizing all the equiptment to make your money worth while.

on a side note id start with a macpro 8 core a nice preamp and nice mic nice studio monitors a nice compressor and acoustic treatment as i said before... id assume you are going to want to get a pro tools HD setup also.... is the studio gonna be in his house??? if so you may want to invest in some soundproof drywall maybe double

Last edited:
Back