002R vs 002?

Jericho

Hey folks,

Well I've decided to go with ProTools, took the 101 class and all, to get my hands on the hardware and software, and I really like the featureset that ProTools offers. Right now what I'm trying to decide is this:

After Christmas, I'll have enough scratch to get the 002R (already have a few okay mics) without much problem. I have a 2.8ghz machine with a gig of ram, so I don't think my machine will be the problem. I'm just wondering as far as ease of use, how does the 002R compare to the 002, not having a control surface, so to speak?

I've been told by a few folks "spend the difference in cost between the two systems on a few decent plugins, and if down the road you NEED a control surface, get the Commmand|8".

Does everyone agree with this statement? That the control surface aspect is sorta a 'not-necessary' thing to get started?

-Jer/Andy

well, cats have been using the digi001 and still are using the 001 which doesn't come w/ the control surface.

If I had the bread and I was planning on getting a NEW digi system, I'd get the rack now and wait for the money to get a control surface later.

Yea i would just get the digi 002 rack and later buy a controller like the mackie or the tascam one. I would do this cause you cant use the digi 002 as a controler with other programs other than pro tools so if down the road you wanted to use a different daw program your over price controler is now useless.

Hey folks!

Thanks for the replies, helpful info and such.

I guess I only asked, because I'm getting a discount through the place I took my class on a Mbox/002/002R, so the price point is a couple hundred off retail in the case of the 002/002R.

thanks,
-Jer/Andy

Back