Writers Block

Ryan More

Somedays (like today) I just cant find inspiration anywhere. Nothing sounds good enough. All i can do is listen to music. I got writers block. What do you do to overcome writers block, or just to gain inspiration. I feel like I've wasted the whole day.

Been going through it for months. For me I gotta witness something, do something to spark an idea to carry with. I've been at home a lot lately and have nothing lately. If you can get out more and clear your mind I would try that.

That's probably what i need to do, i've been in the house a lot lately havent really went out in months besides work.

Last edited:
Yeah. Even the littlest things you see people doing or objects and stuff can be all it takes to spark a line and start flowing bars. I feel you though, been the same way, bars have been weaker then what I am accustomed to.

Hate when I get writers block. What usually helps me is just taking whatever beat I plan on writing to and throw it on repeat in the car and drive around the city until I see something that sparks me to start flowing. Then again I do live in Vegas so it usually doesn't take long to see some wild shit lol

I think you might need a break. Too much mental strain on yourself will burn you out. Sometimes if I just need to get down to business and start writing, I'll start using word play or simile to get the ball rolling, but if your writer's block is blocking out your word play then this is what I do to move past it.

Think of a "thing" or an "action". Brainstorm and see what fits in with the line. Then build off of it

"Thing" : Centipede - (hundred legs) - "Take a hundred steps in a single stride, like a centipede"
- " The best of me was meant to be moving forward to extend my reach..
By taking a hundred steps in a single stride, like centipedes.."

"Action" : Feeding meat to a shark - (sharks can smell blood from a mile away) - "Amplify my senses, like feeding meat to a shark"
- "I'm an elite with the art, keeping a spark to be seen in the dark..
And the music Amplifies my senses, like feeding meat to a shark.."

Hope it helps.

Find a beat you really like. Read a dictionary and/or thesaurus. Think of situations in your life that had a large effect on you or those around you. Could be anything, from anywhere (tv, school, work, etc)

If you've got a genuine block, get away from it.

Take a good break. Not a 15-30 minute break. If you've written yourSelf into a wall, you gotta back of and let your brain breathe.

The art won't leave, so don't worry about stoppin' for a hot minute. Oversaturating yourSelf in the art isn't going to help you or your music.

Breathe...breathe...

Peace.

If you've got a genuine block, get away from it.

Take a good break. Not a 15-30 minute break. If you've written yourSelf into a wall, you gotta back of and let your brain breathe.

The art won't leave, so don't worry about stoppin' for a hot minute. Oversaturating yourSelf in the art isn't going to help you or your music.

Breathe...breathe...

Peace.

Right.

I've had writers block for months, maybe even a few years now that I think about it. Sometimes you really just gotta put the pen down. It's actually how I got into my producing streak a few years ago because I couldn't come up with any bars. Nothing wrong with finding a new hobby or outlet while you cool down.

I think the best solution to writers block is simply living life. When you keep you self separated from society you can start to lose inspiration and the well runs dry. Go see a movie, hang out with friends, call a relative! Usually works from me! In another words walk away and come back!

Back