Punchline Rappers vs Realistic Rappers

Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Too Short, , 50 cent, Biggie all have classics and still get there music played today because they made Relatable music. U might say Future is wack but his music is memorable ( some of it) and Drake and Lil boosie and others i havent named. The rappers I named arent really heavy on punchlines but more of real life situations and they're music stays with u. Its seems like Real punchline heavy music is only hot for the moment. I can still play pre-carter 3 wayne but its like after a while the punches get cheesy but real talk lasts forever. What do you guys out there think? What makes a Song like Juicy and Dear Mama stick around ?

What about jay z who mixes best of both worlds jay z is the punch line master along with down to earth master honestly almost anything jay z released is classic

Realism appeals to some while puns appeal to others. Just depends on what the person wants. But mostly on what the radio forces into your ears. Check out these songs:

(Realism) K-Rino - What You Gonna Do
(Puns) K-Rino - Flow Session Number(s) 1, 2, 4, 5

Punch lines are hooks. Hooks are as old as music. "Twinkle twinkle little star" anyone? Hooks serve as an earwurm to make a song easy to remember. That's all there is to it. Writing a good hook is craftmanship, the same craftmanship needed to write a good kids song, an advertisement tune or a "schlager".

Writing lyrics that grab you by the throat is an art. My personal favorite for that is Guru (especially on Jazzmatazz, exceptional work). But in order to be able to write that stuff, you have to have something to tell as well...

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

What about jay z who mixes best of both worlds jay z is the punch line master along with down to earth master honestly almost anything jay z released is classic
"down to earth" is about the last thing I think about when I hear Jay Z :D

Yeah honestly, I feel like the best artists and songs incorporate both realism and punch lines. When the punch lines are substantial and help you relate.... it's like "WOW! I feel it. That was a clever way of putting it, I definitely feel it though."

rappers in need

If any of you rappers are lookin for beats

punchline rappers are what ****ed the game up.
retard lol

go listen to Big L, every 2nd line has a punchline, are you really gonna tell me classics such as "Put It On" and "MVP" ****ed up the game

I can tell just by your name that you love to jack off to that shitty trap music

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 AM ----------

If any of you rappers are lookin for beats
u garbage yo

Last edited:
Punchlines/Realism? Really?

They go hand and hand. B.I.G., Jay, Nas, DMX, Kanye, 50 Cent, Game, Rakim, and Em all have material that withstood the test of time smothered in both realism and punchlines!!!!

People on this site think too hard. If it's hot, go for it. I'm pretty sure the only rapper that can be mentioned amongst these guys as a peer who wasn't covering all angles would be 2pac. He was amazing and focused in other lanes, so his punchline game didn't have to be the best, yet even he still made attempts to show lyricism on a regular basis. "They say moses split the red sea/I split this blunt and roll a fat one, I'm deadly" quit actin' like that wasn't a "punchline". I bet Pac wishes he coulda came up with sicker punchlines, you can tell listening to his last works he was trying to go in a more lyrical direction.

Last edited:
Yeah honestly, I feel like the best artists and songs incorporate both realism and punch lines. When the punch lines are substantial and help you relate.... it's like "WOW! I feel it. That was a clever way of putting it, I definitely feel it though."

Yeah, this^.

But I would choose realism over punchlines everyday.
I can make a lot of punchlines in a week, but is way harder if you want to add a meaning to your lyrics.

Back