Get going

jaevladaniel

Hi err'one!

New member here, so this topic might have been touched upon before – but just outta pure curiosity: How do you get started on a new project/song/track/beat/etc? Do you have any specific way of kick starting things or do you just create some kind of chaos and see wht might arise from the inferno of sound/ideas?

Peace

Get started anywhere, trying various ways for production and lyric writing i think some ways are more efficient and effective to get to a good song but that is due to personal inclination and of course what you consider a good song to be. Use a unique starting point to get to a new place.

To the second question i feel is pretty much dead on, create chaos and see what arises from it. The creative process is not supposed to be neat.

Last edited:
Get started anywhere, trying various ways for production and lyric writing i think some ways are more efficient and effective to get to a good song but that is due to personal inclination and of course what you consider a good song to be. Use a unique starting point to get to a new place.

To the second question i feel is pretty much dead on, create chaos and see what arises from it. The creative process is not supposed to be neat.

Thanks for some good answers! It kinda cooled my nerves down, since I keep getting frustrated with not really having a "method" or workflow – and I tend to blame my shortcomings on my lack of structure from time to time. I don't know, but I guess it's has a lot to do with me being a total newbie and the fact that I keep forgetting (childishly) that it takes about a hundred bad songs to make one good in the beginning (I guess). Also, I tend to be really sensitive to people that do things differently compared to myself, and I end up considering that to be "the way" since I feel like no good shit comes out of my system – and thus I must do it the wrong way. This might sound a lil' abstract but I hope you get the core of what I'm trying to say at least.

I tend to use the "chaos method" – like find a sample, a drum pattern, a bass line or whaddevs and then build shit around that – and it's a really creative and artistically challenging method but it's also very uncertain. It seems like so many pro's really work in a structured manner, have a plan and vision, do things in the "right" order etc. But that may also not be the whole truth, and also something that doesn't work for everyone. And I guess it's pretty unfair to compare oneself – being a late bloomer with like 2 months experience in dabbling with production – with hearsay about J Dilla's personal production methods. But in the heat of the moment, the self loathing is intact.

Thanks again for your feedback! I'll keep it in my mental armory.

I think a good way to get started with something is too just play with it, if you're trying to come up with lyrics just mumble something or freestyle to the beat until you start to think of something you like.

When making beats, I just play around with chords and notes until I get a idea of what I want to do.

Yeah, maybe that's the way after all. At least when trying not be doing what someone else has already done. I tend to fall into the reference pit whenever I try to construct a structured vision before I get to work. Y'know, it's like everything I carry around in my mind comes from somewhere – which is often/always someone else's song – and that causes me to end up in a trap (not necessarily trap music) where I slowly piece together one or two tracks that are copies of something that's already done haha.

Back