New Sample Based Beat

ryanmcnally

Hey guys,

Really looking for some honest criticism on this song I made. Basically looking for any tips you have regarding the mix, the arrangement, and just the overall vibe of the song.

To be honest, I'm not too satisfied with it but I've gone as far as I can and am fresh out of ideas on how to improve it. Any criticism is appreciated and please be completely honest. Obviously, F4F too.

https://soundcloud.com/ryanjames-2/lookin-like-u-came-from-the

Last edited:
I got the link to work by taking out the hashtag (#) from behind your profile name, maybe that's it? Either way I gave the beat a listen and I dig it, has a real nice boom-bap feel to it, I could see someone flowing on it nicely. It is a bit repetitive, but it's just a beat so I won't knock it down too much for that, but maybe some embellishing plucks just to give it some color (nitpicking). I was expecting to hear that Drake line because of the title though, not gonna lie haha (not really a critique, just a side comment). I really liked that pitched down voice behind the beat too, gives it a nice dreamy vibe. Overall very neat work man good job

Hey! The intro is a little long but I like the beat when the bass and drums hit. With some added percussion this could be really energetic. It sounds a little bare. Just a couple more things could turn it up. But I like what you have.

nice beat man really chill! dope sample and nice chops, keeps it interesting. the vocals are great too! i just think the kick is a little bit overpowered. but great job man keep it up!

Hey guys,

Really looking for some honest criticism on this song I made. Basically looking for any tips you have regarding the mix, the arrangement, and just the overall vibe of the song.

To be honest, I'm not too satisfied with it but I've gone as far as I can and am fresh out of ideas on how to improve it. Any criticism is appreciated and please be completely honest. Obviously, F4F too.

https://soundcloud.com/ryanjames-2/lookin-like-u-came-from-the

Good beat. Well done. Personally, not my style of boom bap, though it's nice. Reminds me of some PRO ERA/J Cole/Logic type music.

sounds great fam, i would suggest switching up the drums here and there, they're a bit repetitive and maybe add a couple more snare hits just here and there, nothing to crazy. The intro was a little bit long but when the beat came in it was on point! that effect and the vox right after the intro were perfect, id have to say that was my favorite part. The sample and chops are on point as well. Great beat overall! id say it just needs a couple change ups here and there.

Check out one of my sampled beats if you have some time.

I appreciate the feedback and kind words, everyone. I can understand where everyone is coming from in terms of the repetitiveness of it. I thought by just adding in and dropping out sounds here and there that I could solve any issues of redundancy, but it's clear that the drums and overall groove of the beat is what needs switching up throughout.

Thanks again.

Back