I Need alot of help ! (Mixing Problems)

J-AMP Productions

J-AMP Productions
I played the whole beat unmixed/mastered and it sounded waay better then when I mixed and mastered it..

To me the mix sounds terrible now but all I did was put highpass filters on all my instruments except Kick and 808 ofcourse and then I just put little boosts on each instruments dominant frequencies no more than 4.0db

I did just realize I have most of my instruments panned to the left so that could be part of the problem but I really need some more experienced ears to help me fiqure this out and some honest criticism of the beat please

Feel free to leave a link and I will return feedback as well as you do !

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Heres the beat

FileSwap.com : J-AMP Productions - Alien Invasion(1).mp3 download free

I think you may have cut to many freq. with that high pass filter. The beat is pretty crunk which is cool.

Some of the tape stop effects and drops don't seem to fit. I think those chants are taking too much room in the mix and I feel that the brass and synths aren't getting the justice they deserve in the mix. Feel the kick and 808 need more velocity as well. The kick punches through nicely but the bass is far to faint.

Really the hiye and ahh chants take away from this really sick jj esk beat. I would drop the chants out and beef the mix up a bit. Then incorporate those back in afterwards (less use per my personal preference).

Otherwise keep at it, I often get frustrated putting the final touches on the beat (tape stops/volume drops/stutters/etc.) The best thing I can suggest is let the track rest for a few days and come back to it with a fresh/clear open mind.

To be honest if this was done in FL and I had/have all the plug ins you used for this beat, I would mix this shit up proper for you.

KFX

Hey man, it definitely sounds dope and I like it a lot. The only thing is, it seems like you may not be taking advantage of some reverb and using EQ in order to create more depth in your mix. It is important to immitate kind of like a stage where the rapper is in your face, while maybe the synths sound more in the back for example. I am in the middle of writing a tutorial on this subject on my site and it should be up either tonight or tomorrow. Here is the site : Mr Temmtation Beats | Hip-Hop Beats, Drum Kits, Tutorials and more! Mr Temmtation Beats and I will definitely let you know when it is up man. Btw feel free to download the free kits in there, they can help a lot

cheers

Listen to Kfx. You can't just put high pass and hope everything will be ok. FL studio HP filter will by default cut a good chunk of frequency. You must customize it to your needs. Parametric EQ2 is a friend of yours use it! Beat sounds good. Hit us back with fixed eq!

Talking about mixing I think kfxkick already said it all. Nothing to add there.

The beat itself seems like it has A LOT of potential, just the fact that you've cut out that many frequencies is really bad, it takes a lot of depth out of your beat.

in my opinion you cutted too many frequencys!... like the others above also said... and try to put a compressor on the masterline!... but the build up is really good!!! respect!

Appreciate the feedback bro and I've heard of using a slight compressor on the master track but as far as the ratio setting and the gain, how should I configure that? I know too much compression can make it sound really muffled so I tend to leave the compressors alone.

I think you may have cut to many freq. with that high pass filter. The beat is pretty crunk which is cool.

Some of the tape stop effects and drops don't seem to fit. I think those chants are taking too much room in the mix and I feel that the brass and synths aren't getting the justice they deserve in the mix. Feel the kick and 808 need more velocity as well. The kick punches through nicely but the bass is far to faint.

Really the hiye and ahh chants take away from this really sick jj esk beat. I would drop the chants out and beef the mix up a bit. Then incorporate those back in afterwards (less use per my personal preference).

Otherwise keep at it, I often get frustrated putting the final touches on the beat (tape stops/volume drops/stutters/etc.) The best thing I can suggest is let the track rest for a few days and come back to it with a fresh/clear open mind.

To be honest if this was done in FL and I had/have all the plug ins you used for this beat, I would mix this shit up proper for you.

KFX

i have to agree with this 100% i really love the beat, would love to collab with you some time if you are down pm me and we will get to it.

Thanks man and forsure, I'll hit you up !

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Buumpinn this upp

Here is the biggest problem i think most producers do. They care to much about rules. Use your ears and not your eyes and feel what sounds good. Second big problem. Never use a compressor. I never used one in my life. They push your volume louder but in return you loos quality because they digitally manipulate all the frequencies louder. You can do this manually without loosing quality. Use a EQ on every of your track and optimise the sound in every track so they don't crash. Then pull the frequencies you want louder in every track and have a L limiter on the master. Thats how i do in every of my tracks here: Rated - YouTube And i live on mastering other peoples music :D Here you have over 27 reviews of my work: http://fiverr.com/ratedmusic/professionally-master-your-music

Last edited:
Dope :) sounds like you used high pass filter too much on some instruments. Maybe add some reverb and get that snare roll more into the middle maybe :p. other than that I think it sounds really good. Im on headphones so I cant really give a fair view on the whole mixing / mastering aspect, but it sounds good in my headphones :)

Back