Could This Pass For A Hip-Hop Beat? (Feedback for Feedback)

nehemeizcool

Hey, so I'm working my way up towards making hip hop music and this is just another attempt at it.

so, does this sound Hip-Hopish to you or like something else?

Also, could you let me know if you notice any problems with the mix, i've listened to it so many times I can't tell any more lol

hope you like it :-)

i would have gone with a dif snare? music is interpretive n i think this could pass as hiphop… it still got your usual vibe.. :) great progression and love the hook.. and that bridge!!!!!! really nice!! mix sounds clean to me.. kinda inspired me to try something like this now.. thanks

Hmmm...well if an electric guitar is to rock music, then to me bass and drums are the equivalent foundation of hiphop.

So for this one I gotta say no it definitely does not pass for hip hop. The drum/bass combo just doesnt sound hip hop. If youre going to go with the live drum sound, I would try some boom bap drums or go for some serious effects like Jay Zs 99 Problems drums. Those are hip hop sounding live drums! It sounds like a cool pop/rock song with the bass a little louder than it usually is for that genre.

I think its a dope track. It could pass for a hip-hop track but I think a singer would do more justice, at least on the hook. I would like to hear the bass guitar layered with a sub bass to sound fuller. 2.19-2.51 is this the bridge?

I would say it's definitely hip-hop. It's got a pretty inspirational vibe to it, too, I feel like. I really like it. Keep it up, mate.

This is a really cool sounding beat. I think this could be hiphop, but not something like gangsta rap. I also could see Macklemore or Eminem or maybe even B.O.B on this. Good work man.

I like the strings. This is straight. I would have used a softer snare. It really sticks out to me in the mix. Maybe it's just a volume thing. If the hits that weren't on the 2 and 4 were softer, maybe that would help. I would have used the tapestop effect less. I think it'd be cooler if it only came in every once in a while and was something to look forward to or catch you by surprise. This is straight though. A little cheesy and happy for my tastes but not bad. I can't really put it into words, but it does sound like you're new to making rap beats. A lot of the dubstep, hardstyle, bass type of techno guys make the transition pretty well but I find that a lot of people who make other genres then move into rap make beats like this that are super melodic (not that a rap beat can't be melodic) and really bright and cheerful sounding with no mean/street edge to it.

I think "I Can" by Nas is a good example of a beat that is really cheerful (it's got kids singing on it for crying out loud) but there's elements that give it a little mean streak/street edge/hardness (the break beat) that I think is a defining trait about a rap beat regardless of whether it's trap, old school boom bap, west coast, etc. Good start though. You've got a lot of the basics down.

Check me out when you get a chance.

I like the strings. This is straight. I would have used a softer snare. It really sticks out to me in the mix. Maybe it's just a volume thing. If the hits that weren't on the 2 and 4 were softer, maybe that would help. I would have used the tapestop effect less. I think it'd be cooler if it only came in every once in a while and was something to look forward to or catch you by surprise. This is straight though. A little cheesy and happy for my tastes but not bad. I can't really put it into words, but it does sound like you're new to making rap beats. A lot of the dubstep, hardstyle, bass type of techno guys make the transition pretty well but I find that a lot of people who make other genres then move into rap make beats like this that are super melodic (not that a rap beat can't be melodic) and really bright and cheerful sounding with no mean/street edge to it.

I think "I Can" by Nas is a good example of a beat that is really cheerful (it's got kids singing on it for crying out loud) but there's elements that give it a little mean streak/street edge/hardness (the break beat) that I think is a defining trait about a rap beat regardless of whether it's trap, old school boom bap, west coast, etc. Good start though. You've got a lot of the basics down.

Check me out when you get a chance.

thanks for you comment, i really appreciate your input :-) , yea i definitely am new to rap, this my second attempt at it, so imma keep trying to get right and eventually i get that "mean/street edge"

Pretty good song.
Arrangement is on point.
The drums need more oomph tho, and a little more low end all-around.
Little tape stop happy? lol... Could be overkill.
I mean, it could pass as hip hop with the right emcee, but I wouldnt necessarily call it hip hop as of now.
A good singer could also do alot with this track.
All in all, its a good song. I think those drums need a bit of work, thats all...

very cool track bro. i like the melodies a lot, very nice instruments...just need to get some vocals on it. i use Kontakt - The Giant for my pianos

Dope. Deff a hip hop beat. Mixed nicely too. Only thing is I would try to find a diff kick but other than that good track

Back