Symphony Strings and Drums

NMC2005

I'm very new to music. I wanted to do a track that has a simple beat with some strings..symphony like.

I'm not very technical and I had one heck of a time converting the .wav to a .mp3..and then I had to find some webspace that would allow others to hear the .mp3, which was not a simple as I had expected. Anyway, give it a listen on this myspace page. Tell me what you think. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://myspace.com/NMC2005

P.S. It's starts like 4 seconds late.

I appreciate any and all comments.

I GIVE FEEDBACK 100%

Last edited:
No power in it (might be because my speakers aren't turned all the way upw ith the bass because it's too late here), but the strings sound nice. I'm sure if you added more elements, it'd be ill as hell. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback!
It's a very crappy mp3 rip from Pro Tools (I didn't know what I was doing). It actually has a solid bass hit every measure, at least before I 'tried' to transfer it to mp3 format.

I agree

Black Real said:
No power in it (might be because my speakers aren't turned all the way upw ith the bass because it's too late here), but the strings sound nice. I'm sure if you added more elements, it'd be ill as hell. Thanks for the feedback.

No Power in It.........I Didnt Here A Bass.....My Speakas Turned Up
Strings R Nice Real Nice........I Might Have Done Sum Diff Wit Drums & Like above More Elements....You Go a Hit In Tha Makin......Be You Be Ez. Thankz For Tha Feed

Dude... you HAVE to get some better drum sounds, go here: http://productionsamples.tk there's a lotta good stuff. Your Strings are nice, but I'd say that the drums sounds you got don't sound too good at all. Don't get me wrong now, the programming isn't bad... it's just the sounds are. You've obviously got some talent so yeah, use better sounds. I just got into beatmaking about 3 months ago, so I have this same problem alot of the time too. But I see it like this, listening to a good bad with bad sounds is kinda like listin to someone with a bad voice sing a good song. Ya feel me? anyway, like I said, just check out the link and see what you come up with. PEACE.

What up,

Thanks for the feedback. 1st, you do not have to find a webspace so other peope can listen to your music (on this site). You can upload both wav and mp3 files. When you start a thread, look at the menu on the top of the message box. It basically gives you options like Microsoft Word to edit your message but there is also an icon that opens up another menu that allows you to upload songs on this site.

I like the kind of dark, epic string arrangement you had going there but I think Black Real was right about the energy level being low. Reason being you never changed anything throughout the song. There were no drum drops, no bridge, nothing. Sometimes you don't need that ish, if you have constructed an ill 8bar loop then you can ride with that but since you are new (I am too) I'd jus goahead and practice making variations. That bass you had in there was really deep and low and the strings were high but you should add another high element in there maybe some keys ( I barely heard those keys you added, turn em up). You could really add anything it's the perfect backdrop for some kind of guitar to come in on.

The beat is missin one more part that would take it over that emotional edge to where you could leave it as is. I can see it as one of those tracks where the emcee just comes in and spits like a long 32 or even 48 bars straight through (that be dope).

PEACE

returning the favor
well... it's way to simple for my taste, buti can kind of see where you wanna go. you need to find better drums sound, and imo the beat also need a bass

Speaking here as a classical composer, I must say the piece lacked development or any real appreciation for string writing. However, it is a good start.

The drums are really quite distracting but do not not macke up for the lack of musical material.

The melodic and harmonic design is rudimentary at best and it doesn't want to make me hit that play button again and again.

I suggest you practice and practice, always elevating your writing with each new track. Forget about this 'symphonic' element for now, but listen to some classical music, listen to composers like John Adams and see how you can work these elements into your music. In the end, though, if you really want to pull it off, study music classically ;)

That's a nice little tune, but as been said above, you really need some new sounds. Except fot the low string it sounds kinda cheap. And of course calling it symphony is ... well.

It was ok man. A few things i have 2 point out -

The drums. Get some new sounds man.

The strings. They sound nice but they lack that "something". They dont seem to have much emotion in them if you know what i mean. I agree with what James said, listen to some classical music to get ideas about strings and emotion. It'll work in your favour for sure.

Back