New beat. Is this hiphop?

Ok I gave it a listen...

Instrumentation: the lead synth has a very Asiatic feel to it. I like the melody. Did you play it or was it an apregiator? IMO I would've add another high instrument to compliment the lead either in the chorus or leading up to the chorus. I would also work on the breaks. They don't seem to flow with the song. One way to do this, is to add an fx; I recommend a sweep. I like the bass drum. It really hits. I would recommend layering your snare/snap to really bring it out.

Sequencing/playlist: I touched on your breaks. I would work on your beat drop. When artists such as myself are shopping for beats, this is one focus that we look for; and you really want to grab attention. I would also add a little more flare to stand out such as but not limited to: snare roll, hi hat doubles, etc. you want to give your beats that punch, but without overdoing it. Finding that balance is the key.

Mixing: I think this is the main area you want to focus on. You can have the greatest beat in the world but if it's not properly mixed, it will get overlooked. EQ is very important. Remember how I said your bass drum really hits? That's a good thing, but the problem is that it's muffled. I only know that it really hits because I produce myself. BUT the average listener won't be able to tell. So definitely take the time to mix each instrument after you compose/sequence. It'll make your track stand out. Then of course there's compression, distortion for your bass to stand out, panning, reverb on your instruments, Ewing your mids so they don't get lost in the track, soft clipper/reverb/eq/compression on your master bus, etc. there's more but this is just a quick summary.

Overall, nice track. Just learn how to make your tracks stand out and you'll be fine.

Gramz

Thanks man! Nice feedback. Some of your words i didnt really understand, since im pretty new to producing :P But i will try to work on my mixing.

Once again, thank you.

edit: I played the synth in piano roll.

Last edited:
I honestly do not know. That sounds like ...like disco club houselike music.
Like a cross between dudley's sf3 theme and some...like some urban tekken music. Like it but can't quite categorize it it's like pop music but urban pop music if that makes sense

I honestly do not know. That sounds like ...like disco club houselike music.
Like a cross between dudley's sf3 theme and some...like some urban tekken music. Like it but can't quite categorize it it's like pop music but urban pop music if that makes sense

Haha that sounds freakin epic dude!

This genre is called klondike-hop I'm a big fan ur like 1 of the only 2 producers in the world who make it.

Jokes aside this sounds cool, power it up a bit more and u got a nice instrumental. I think it's good if you don't really follow into categories.

No idea what genre this is but it's pretty smooth actually! You got me feelin like I'm on lsd with this beat haha, music is all about feelings so pretty good job!

Nice one. I like the experimental aspect of it. Cool Synths.
As said before you should work on your mixing but besides that it's well done.

Hip hop has a lot of repeating parts. Depending on the style of hip hop, you might see effects, jazz and funk elements, and the drums make a big difference. It could technically be hip hop based off of the lyrics. I mean honestly people rap to country and world beats. I would just listen to modern and past hiphop.

Cant really categorize this, which spmetimes is a good thing.Dont wanna start getting labeled this an that sometimes. I think your kick should hit harder man. I like that funky bassline. keep it up!

I wouldn't necessarily call this hip hop. could someone rap over it? Yea without much of a problem but i dont think its really hip hop.
It's more just instrumental music imo.
However, that doesnt mean its not dope. i really like it, keep making stuff like this!

p.s. if you have the time peep my last post and leave some feeback on my homies project. plz and thx
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-dirty-south-etc/aftrmind-leaf-weirdo-516995/

Last edited:
could careless what genre it is! as a new producer I can hear that you have a good grasp on your sounds and instrumentation. everything sounds in place and where its supposed to be. I like this track, great start. I agree with the others pretty much just do some youtubing, go get a book from the library, read and inhale anything and everything you can find about mixing.

heres my thread for feed when you get a chance thanks

Last edited:
Here to return the feedback. First of all, we've all been exactly where you are right now. I hope this doesn't sound rude but it obvious you've just started making beats. You've entered a whole new world and I applaud you for that. Now I"m going to tell you what you "need" to hear. The journey to crafting you sound is a long road but you can get there with time and effort. Like a few others have already mentioned, you need to improve every aspect of producing from sample selection, mixing, and knowing who your sound is targeting. Do you want to make background music for films? Or are you trying to make hip hop beats for rappers to rap on? If you're just having fun and experimenting, then what I think doesn't matter because you're not trying to make a career out of this. Again, I hope you take my words of advice in a very casual manner and know I only want to help you. Either way, welcome to the world of music production! Good luck to you.

Back