I would appreciate your feedback on my new mixtape. F4f

Hello,

My name is Chris D'meek, I'm a Rapper, Singer and Producer. I just dropped a mixtape Titled
"THIS IS ME" , I would love you guys to check it out and will as well appreciate any sort of feedback.

I handled every aspect of this project, from producetions, M&M down to Graphics Design. Right inside my lil room lol.

I promise you dopeness though.

SoundCloud

THIS IS ME (mixtape) by CHRIS D'MEEK | Free Listening on SoundCloud

or

THIS IS ME (mixtape) by CHRIS D'MEEK | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I await your feedbacks
Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes someone who can actually rap! You got skill 4sure but I say get rid of the fan gate I tried them b4 and it worked but not as well as I thought it would 4 the price they was asking

really dope work on this whole mixtape. all the beats and vocals sound smooth af, nice mixing on the vocals as well. definitely better than most rappers trying to come up, keep it up!

This is really good for doing everything yourself. It sounds like you have a bit of an accent, where are you from? (Just wondering) I think the songs are structured and formed really nicely. You can really rap for sure. The intro has great energy to start it off. A few songs may have a tiny bit of mixing issues, like track 4 could have your vocals a little clearer from the instrumental melody, but overall this is really solid. Great tape for doing it all in your room. Try to spread this around as much as you can man.

My beat [F4F] Breeze - Returning all feedback!

This is really good for doing everything yourself. It sounds like you have a bit of an accent, where are you from? (Just wondering) I think the songs are structured and formed really nicely. You can really rap for sure. The intro has great energy to start it off. A few songs may have a tiny bit of mixing issues, like track 4 could have your vocals a little clearer from the instrumental melody, but overall this is really solid. Great tape for doing it all in your room. Try to spread this around as much as you can man[/URL]

Thanks man.. Yeah, you're right about the accent, I'm Nigerian.
Thanks for the feed once again

Hello Chris,

I checked your mixtape as I am beginner and am looking for some inspirations and production stuff I would like to learn and I must say your mixtape is really good. I especially liked the variety of grooves and styles, even some tracks combined sampling with synths and in terms of mix the album sounds quite professional. In my opinion the best tracks are 'Elevate' and 'Ascension'. I would be grateful if you could tell me:

1. In 'Elevate' in some parts did you tripled the vocal and pitched one track high and one track low (= did you do this manually) or maybe you have a VST for such stuff?
2. I really enjoyed your 808's how they sound and how variable they are. Do you have some hints in this field? I checked quite good tutorial on that, but didn't test in on my own yet.
3. Which synths do you use for example in 'TIP TOP'? Is this already a complete synth or do you automatise some parameters throughout the song (pitch?)?

Hello Chris,

I checked your mixtape as I am beginner and am looking for some inspirations and production stuff I would like to learn and I must say your mixtape is really good. I especially liked the variety of grooves and styles, even some tracks combined sampling with synths and in terms of mix the album sounds quite professional. In my opinion the best tracks are 'Elevate' and 'Ascension'. I would be grateful if you could tell me:

1. In 'Elevate' in some parts did you tripled the vocal and pitched one track high and one track low (= did you do this manually) or maybe you have a VST for such stuff?
2. I really enjoyed your 808's how they sound and how variable they are. Do you have some hints in this field? I checked quite good tutorial on that, but didn't test in on my own yet.
3. Which synths do you use for example in 'TIP TOP'? Is this already a complete synth or do you automatise some parameters throughout the song (pitch?)?

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback!

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS:

1. In "ELEVATE", If I'm right, you're asking particularly about the part that has the Phrase "I fell in love with the paper..."

And the asnwer is Yes, I did it manually. What you hear there are 3 vocal layers, one pitched an octave down (i.e for example C5 to C4), one pitched an octave up and one left in its normal pitch. But the one pitched down has more presence than d other two.

TIP: If you use FL studio for this, select the "E generic" resample style so U won't have your tempo messed up.

2. About the 808's, I think first you need to choose one that blends well with the beat or vibe you're aiming for. I do a lot of EQing and Sidechain compression (to sort out frequencies & avoid crashing especially b/w the 808 and kick drum). I also add saturation to almost all my 808's. (If I didn't answer this right, you ask more and be a little more elaborate)

3. In TIP TOP, I used Electra X for most of the sounds (with Gross Beat "Reverse effect" and another to slow it down but I only turned the effect halfway on, this makes it sound a lot thicker and feels like there's a lot going on with the sound)
Then Kontakt for the Piano.

I only automated the "Pan" , Then transposed the midi notes an octave up for d hook.

Aside the drums and 808, it was just 3 sounds on that beat. 2 instances of Electra X and 1 kontakt.

Hope I was able to attend to your questions?

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you for the answers, The brought me a lot of new hints I can try to use in my own productions. Especially I completely omitted the e generic method so far and never used Electra (I prefer Serum and Massive). Good point witaj Gross Beat on the piano, if you would like then I can recommend you Effectrix free VST, I use it a lot with automations.

One more question - do you have your own workflow in terms of mix? To me, a beginner, your productions sound very clean and I would like to know what plays major impact in your case.

Thank you in advance for your help and all the vest for 2019!

Hello,

Thank you for the answers, The brought me a lot of new hints I can try to use in my own productions. Especially I completely omitted the e generic method so far and never used Electra (I prefer Serum and Massive). Good point witaj Gross Beat on the piano, if you would like then I can recommend you Effectrix free VST, I use it a lot with automations.

One more question - do you have your own workflow in terms of mix? To me, a beginner, your productions sound very clean and I would like to know what plays major impact in your case.

Thank you in advance for your help and all the vest for 2019!

Ok,...
Well in terms of mixing, to make my mix sound clean enough, I just just pretty much lookout for clashing frequencies b/w two sounds, especially two sounds that are complimenting each other in a mix. Every sound I use in a beat would pretty much have an EQ on its FX slot.

For Instance Say a Piano and a String you layered together, If you want the low frequencies from the string, then you gotta cut out a reasonable proportion of those low frequencies from the Piano thereby avoiding any clash. I really don't compress unless I absolutely have to.

I used to want to do too much to a beat, until I started recording, I realized it's just about knowing d right layers to a sound/beat. Doing too much messes the whole thing up sometimes.

But always feel free to experiment and try things out.

Again...Mixing Vocals is perhaps the most difficult part of the music making process, prolly why there are more music producers than Sound Engineers.
Every voice is unique and is treated differently. I'm still learning everyday with every vocal I mix.

PS: Thanks for the recommendation, I already have effectrix, which I actually used in the track 4 "THE MAN" for the first Sound you'll hear on the Beat, and also the last track on d tape. Thanks once again.

Feel free to send me a mail about anything anytime, if It's what I can offer some help on, I'd definitely do that

chrisdmeek@gmail.com

Last edited:
Back