Feedback on Compilation

skitzothebeast

I would like some feedback on the mixes in this compilation. I have some beats that I recently mixed and want to know if they meet professional standards. Thank you.

BEAT 1
Pros:
- Main Melody
- high hat variation
- nice kick and snare
- soft 808
Cons:
- effect used around 0:15 [ too basic/known ]
- the kick and snare + 808 could hit harder and have a clearer mix
- the brass sounds a little flat.

BEAT 2
Pros:
- Musical Creativity
- Sound choice
- Vocal
Cons:
- The drum mix could be clearer and stand out more.

BEAT 3
Pros:

- Nice melody
- nice piano
- nice high hat variation
- nice violin [ could have a better realistic mic but still nice]
Cons:
- Brass sounds flat [more mids]

BEAT 4
Pros:
- Synth/bass sound
- Synth that comes in
Cons:
- drum are started to feel too similar in every beat.
- the drum could stand out harder and clearer.

BEAT 5
Pros:

- Nice 808 melody
- Vocal effect
- overal ambient vibe + melodies
- Synth that comes in
Cons
- [ work on the 808 mix with a hard hitting kick]

Overall :

Nice creativity, nice sound choice,,, only thing missing is that on point mix. The mixes are chill but still has room for improvement. Advice I can give is always try to make the kick and snare be the most prominent part of the track and mix the rest of the instruments around those two. Good luck !

FEED4FEED? - CHECK OUT MY RELEASE - https://www.futureproducers.com/for...etc/no-worries-old-school-hip-hop-f4f-498283/

Nice mixes man! The beats themselves are dope as well but it sounded like you were more interested in the mix aspect of these tracks on this compilation.

All of the mixes are high quality - but I also feel they all kind of share some qualities that might be enhanced for it to hit even harder. I think the kick can be more prominent and the bass / 808's can be side-chained to the kick so they don't get in the way. The snare and hats / cymbals can just be louder and have more hi / hi-mid energy to them. They will sound louder and a bit more aggressive. Those are the two things I think I heard across all the beats.

But they are pretty minor things as it is. You really have some good work here. Those are just one engineer's opinions (mine) and you may not agree. I just find that the current commercial tracks (that I like) have a certain presence and edge to the snare, hats, and cymbals, and have a HARD THUD in the kick.

Keep up the good work though - you sound really good!

Please check out my latest track when you can: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...outh-etc/pop-beneath-lights-f4f-100-a-498220/

Cheers!

first off i would like to say i'm the worst person to give feedback on actual mixes/engineering work. but anyway, first beat is dope, the snare/clap sounds a little drowned out by reverb, the brass is ****in gritty and i love it. 2nd the reggae track, i can critique better since i grew up reggae, in my opinion you may need a fuller sounding snare with more bottom, and the kick sounds a little weird. cool beat though. 3rd beat is cool, again i hear reverb drowning out the snare. the strings that come in sound kinda nasal, i'm personally not a big fan of sounds that sound like that, like saxophones and violins, but that's just personal preference. aint a bad beat at all though, the gritty ass brass again, love that brass. next beat, that's dope, can't say much on this. if i was you i would just play with the reverb on your snares because it takes away from the bang. maybe turn up the pre-delay, or pan it, or compress the reverb signal ? something i duno. last beat is cool too. overall first one was the hardest imo. overall you did good work i think, again i'm not an engineer.... the beats were definitely dope for the most part.

Last edited:
First beat has a really solid melody. The effect you added towards the beginning was a good intro to the beat. The 808s were nice and well balanced in the mix. The horns were cool too. Overall It was a solid beat.

Second beat, man I love Rastafarian music, and the elements you added create a great vibe that made me reminisce of all that type of music I listen to. Much props, though I could have done without the singing vocals.

Third beat is real smooth. The pianos are very subtle, and the extra instrumentation added created an overall complete vibe to it, especially the violin. Only thing I'd say is EQ the kick, sounds a little muddy in the mix.

Fourth beat sounded like a sequel to the previous beat. Except much darker and atmospheric. This beat was alright till it started progressing towards the end, it picked up and was much more interesting due to the melody.

Fifth beat is actually my favorite of the collection. I really love atmospheric style type beats. I feel that it gave a very relaxing vibe, that I can sit back and smoke to. Really loving the melodies on this. Crazy good.

Overall, very interesting beats. I dug a lot of them, some more than others. But what I like is how diverse they were. You have a good ear for melodies. Keep it up :victory:

Beat 1: The kick could be harder, 808 a bit deeper and I'd lower the volume on the brass that comes in towards the end.

Beat 2: Very nice I don't know much about Reggae but I do think it would be nice with a sliding deep synth in there at some parts. Vocals fit very nicely.

Beat 3: I personally don't care for this beat. It's mixed nicely but I'd just scrap it.

Beat 4: What you've done is nice, the mix is solid but it's a little empty in regard to instruments. A light bell would fit very nicely into there and bring the beat to the next level. I'd take a little high end off the TG you have in there.

Beat 5: Sounds like a blueprint for a beat and unfinished. The kick sounds like it has too much high end I'd focus the highest fq at a lower level.

first beat hella dope, real nice melody and fx although im not a fan of the sound that comes in around 1:20

second beat smooth af, would recommend parts of the vocal sample coming in during the 'verse' section

third beat not my vibe tbh but well executed

fourth and fifth beat love the synth part towards the end in both

all mixes sound good to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not too into the mixing side of things but after listening to the first beat I can say that the levels on the HHs were maybe just a tad too high. I really felt like they were drawing my attention too much.

Exceptional work there man! 1st beat:Tight effects ambient synths and a great melody and bassline,2nd beat:dope melody,brass sounding chill,and gives an overall reggae vibe,3rd beat:I liked the piano and the pluck that you used and the bassline is strong,the strings bring a nice contrast too,4th beat:didn't like it that muck great synths tho,5th beat:I liked the chant and the main pad,great snare too,Keep it up!

Back