Boom Bap

Maybe it's just me, but I kept waiting for a bigger, more prominent melodic sample to drop. Like the drums and bass line though and mix is good. Check my latest if you have a minute. Cheers.

Thanks for the input.

I like the general idea of your beat. You've picked some nice samples (piano is out of key in relation to the brass though), I love the vocal sample, nice scratching going on - def a plus. Mixing wise I think that the low end needs to be more prominent to give more of the Tribes vibe, either via EQ, picking a sub or having a VST that does that for you. Nice groove, the beat def keeps the 90s spirit. There are few shortcomings but I think it's a decent idea.

Thanks for the input.

I like the general idea of your beat. You've picked some nice samples (piano is out of key in relation to the brass though), I love the vocal sample, nice scratching going on - def a plus. Mixing wise I think that the low end needs to be more prominent to give more of the Tribes vibe, either via EQ, picking a sub or having a VST that does that for you. Nice groove, the beat def keeps the 90s spirit. There are few shortcomings but I think it's a decent idea.

Yeah I didn't really go overboard with the bass on this one at all. You're right, to sound like classic Tribe EG. Low End Theory, I'd have to boost the low end in a huge way. But as you know, a 'Artist' Type Beat isn't really meant to be an emulation of anyone. The term type beat is simply used for search engine purposes and to give some vague notion of what someone will hear. My previous track is found with Stevie Wonder type beat, but if I thought it sounded like anything it'd probably be somewhere in between Toto and Bobby Caldwell. lol.

I'd say the main issue with my beat would be my extremely mediocre scratching. If I spend more time making old school hip hop again, we'll see if the time with the turntables makes me any better.

Thanks for checking out the track.
J

You don't have to explain the obvious to me. Having said that, I still think that the bass should be more prominent for the track you're making - maybe wider in the mid region, maybe more saturated, not sure, just more prominent - not saying you should be trying to copy the Q-Tip sound 100% that's absurd.

Back