Odessa - mad breaktrance

i-clan

hi there i have been working "Odessa", a breaktrance style track (as far as i can tell! :) ), and here are 50 seconds of a quick rough mix. the beginning is going to be a bit different and of course there are going to be some vocals coming into it soon... but as it stands i think it might be exciting to listen to anywa, got a sound going ;).

http://i-clan.vjcentral.com/aa/Odessa.aif

as soon as i get my mp3 export option working again i will post a smaller mp3 ... at least this way you get aif quality.

hope to hear some comments, good or otherwise. :cool:

Pretty good...

Reminds me of Meat Beat Manifesto. Compliment. Need to add some spatialness, it seems a little closed. No panning or ambience. Bass could be deeper as well as kick drum. Decent compression, just needs to be fatter. Good start though.

thanks for the feedback purefunk, i totally agree with everything you said there, good advice.
"Need to add some spatialness, it seems a little closed. " - gotcha, yes, you are right on the money. as you say, it is a start. deepening the kick, phatter bass, some ambient occurences, some stereo placement of things ... actually i get a bit confused about stereo placement of instruments/percussion tools.

i dunno whether the compression is good or not, but it seemed to be kind of punchy.

havent heard Meat Beat Manifesto, are they a little like juno reactor or something?

i want to have fast and funky hiphop breakbeat DnB beats with trance lines about it and funky bass lines going on ... all in production, inspiration, developmentation.

Oh My God, DUDE.........

You have got to check out Meat Beat Manifesto. They helped define "Beat Beat", "Progressive Breakz", and other forms of Breakbeat electronica. They, really he, Jack Dangers came from industrial era electronic group. Imagine hip-hop beats turned up, distored, sub bass electro with ambient pads and samples from old sci-fi. Amazing. If you get the chance, give em a spin, you might be impressed. Jack Danger's production style is incredible. I don't think he gets enough credit. Without MBM Chemical Bros , Dust Brothers, Crystal Method (when they were good), Fluke and many others, wouldn't have turned out like they have. Fatboy Slim owes them a nod. I even think the used some of their beats on some of his tracks.
Recommended listening:
99%
Storm the Studio
Satyricon
Actual Sound & Voices
could be more.
They did a track in the 90's that fused their hard breakz sound with "Tainted Love". Awesome track.

Check'em out.
Let me know when you remix your track.
I'll check it.

later:monkey:

crystal method are still good, I love Tweekend just as much as Vegas

I really like this track. especially all the changeups. But perhaps some crashes at the changeup and other tension building methods, like dropouts or 16th roll stuff. How did you make this?

i made it by having sex with twenty five amazing looking women and then getting them to press buttons at random.

yes, i agree, some crash cymbals! good call. not that i am into cymbals too much, but here, perfect. good man! :)

owww!!! okay i used reason 1 okay!

but i actually exported solo tracks from reason and put it together in pro tool.s

thanks for the props akg :cheers: glad you like it. to me, the tune has a real Get-Up vibe to it, glad that someone likes it.

note- purefunk, i havent remixed it yet. but i will, 4 sure.

Last edited:
Sounds great! Fatter bassline and most of what everybody has said! :victory:

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Made said:
Fatter bassline

interresting idea, fatter bassline u say...sort of tricky there tho cos as it is a riffy distorto smooth thing. maybe i could reinforce a coupla notes with a diff instumentsynth? at sort of funky intervals; it would have to be a line of its own aswell, even if it is subsonic.

Back