Drumstep Track

Nice mixing with the drums, some frequencies sound cluttered when the first pad comes in. try using a HPF and get rid of some low frequencies to make things sound a little cleaner. Your WAWA bass is somewhat too loud in the mix and the song is somewhat scatterbrained. try focussing on one idea or find a way to let them intermingle more clean. Your song has a lot of frequencies that can be cut, but try those things and see how it comes out. If you can, check out my new track in this forum!

Nice mixing with the drums, some frequencies sound cluttered when the first pad comes in. try using a HPF and get rid of some low frequencies to make things sound a little cleaner. Your WAWA bass is somewhat too loud in the mix and the song is somewhat scatterbrained. try focussing on one idea or find a way to let them intermingle more clean. Your song has a lot of frequencies that can be cut, but try those things and see how it comes out. If you can, check out my new track in this forum!

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated, I will make sure to return the favor of course. I produce using shitty headphones so some frequencies especially the low end can be hard to hear making it harder to EQ but I do hope to invest in some studio speakers to hopefully make the job easier. One thing I struggle with is linking basses together (so I'm not surprised you said this) to make a nice sounding drop but it never seems to work and there doesn't seem to be any decent tutorials on how to do this.

I like the idea, but I think you have a lot of work to do homie.

Sound Selection

It seems as if you have a limited library, because there aren't too many instruments playing at one time. I think you have a good key progression going on, but your sounds are too mellow and lifeless. Try adding in some low end synths during the part with the keys, as it lacks some bass power there. During the your build up, I think you should add some more sounds to make it sound more full. Add some sweeping mid frequency synths to fill in the void. After the drop, it sounds dull, with only 1 synth playing at a time. This gets very boring, and it's your job to spice it up with some more instruments, since this is a non vocal based track.

Composition

I think you did a good job here. It has a good progression and you did a good job with the transitions. However, I think you should make sure you don't overuse transitions too much. The drum composition DEFINITELY needs some variation. You have the same drum roll playing throughout the track, and this gets very, very boring very fast. change it up a little homie!

Mixing and Mastering

Well, it seems that are new to this, so I would say that, for starters, try playing around with EQ, Compressors, Reverb, and Delays. Those 4 will make your track sound much more full and much more professional. As you get better, you can start using other techniques such as phasors, or get more sophisticated with those 4 listed above.

You did a good job homie, but there's a lot you need to learn and much room for improvement. Don't let that get you down though, it's a good track. You just need to put in more work to make it a superb one. Good luck to you homie.

Here's my thread. Let me know what you think!

I like the idea, but I think you have a lot of work to do homie.

Sound Selection

It seems as if you have a limited library, because there aren't too many instruments playing at one time. I think you have a good key progression going on, but your sounds are too mellow and lifeless. Try adding in some low end synths during the part with the keys, as it lacks some bass power there. During the your build up, I think you should add some more sounds to make it sound more full. Add some sweeping mid frequency synths to fill in the void. After the drop, it sounds dull, with only 1 synth playing at a time. This gets very boring, and it's your job to spice it up with some more instruments, since this is a non vocal based track.

Composition

I think you did a good job here. It has a good progression and you did a good job with the transitions. However, I think you should make sure you don't overuse transitions too much. The drum composition DEFINITELY needs some variation. You have the same drum roll playing throughout the track, and this gets very, very boring very fast. change it up a little homie!

Mixing and Mastering

Well, it seems that are new to this, so I would say that, for starters, try playing around with EQ, Compressors, Reverb, and Delays. Those 4 will make your track sound much more full and much more professional. As you get better, you can start using other techniques such as phasors, or get more sophisticated with those 4 listed above.

You did a good job homie, but there's a lot you need to learn and much room for improvement. Don't let that get you down though, it's a good track. You just need to put in more work to make it a superb one. Good luck to you homie.

Here's my thread. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for the feedback especially since I see you have gone the extra mile by organizing and explaining your points it really does help a lot. The main issue I have is that I have limited tools and knowledge of certain things such as bass drops and sound design on leads and chords which is then projected in my music. I tried to go for a simple but effective approach as I didn't want to make it all cluttered by having loads of instruments and sounds playing at the same time but obviously in this genre that idea is probably not the best. But hey you learn from your mistakes and that what makes you a better producer. When I get a chance I will make sure to check out your stuff and thanks again for the feedback it's much appreciated :)

These are all very nice points you've made kiz. +1 for you :)
I totally agree. I felt like I wasn't HOOKED to begin with. And sadly, the average attention span we have for entertainment is approx. five seconds. It did sound mellow through the whole track, and really, what I would be trying to do is to try to get an audience to feel a certain mood at a specific time. I'm not talking about ambient tracks or anything like that, but in general. It's a valid point to state that this track didn't have life in it. as kiz said, adding some low end synths will bring some life back into the track. But dude you do have the foundation going here. We'e here to help you grow, and you definitely will if you keep it up :)

- SNELL :)

Thanks for the feedback especially since I see you have gone the extra mile by organizing and explaining your points it really does help a lot. The main issue I have is that I have limited tools and knowledge of certain things such as bass drops and sound design on leads and chords which is then projected in my music. I tried to go for a simple but effective approach as I didn't want to make it all cluttered by having loads of instruments and sounds playing at the same time but obviously in this genre that idea is probably not the best. But hey you learn from your mistakes and that what makes you a better producer. When I get a chance I will make sure to check out your stuff and thanks again for the feedback it's much appreciated :)

Hey homie, don't feel bad. Not even a year ago I was in the same place as you. So many ideas, but no idea how to put them together properly on a track. I think you have a basic understanding of the genre, but it seems that you are afraid of experimenting and incorporating new ideas. Don't be afraid to try unfamiliar techniques, you said so yourself that you were trying to go with a simple approach. I think you should instead try to go all out, keep ideas that sound good, and weed out ones that don't. Soon you'll be make industry standard tracks in no time.

As for learning, I would start with listening to your favorite artists/producers. Listen to their music carefully. Take note of what sounds they used, how they seem to alter their sounds, their transitions, etc. It actually helps if you even try to recreate a segment of your favorite track, just to practice learning techniques and effects. Be sure to also use YouTube and sites such as this one to learn more about technical stuff and theories. Books are also great for theories. I myself am still very new to music production. Most of what I have learned is from experimentation, careful listening, research on YouTube and this site, and feedback from friends and helpful professionals from this site as well. You have all of the tools you need right here. Use them to the max homie, I believe in you. Good luck bro ;)

klzthe13th;4***8924 said:
Hey homie, don't feel bad. Not even a year ago I was in the same place as you. So many ideas, but no idea how to put them together properly on a track. I think you have a basic understanding of the genre, but it seems that you are afraid of experimenting and incorporating new ideas. Don't be afraid to try unfamiliar techniques, you said so yourself that you were trying to go with a simple approach. I think you should instead try to go all out, keep ideas that sound good, and weed out ones that don't. Soon you'll be make industry standard tracks in no time.

As for learning, I would start with listening to your favorite artists/producers. Listen to their music carefully. Take note of what sounds they used, how they seem to alter their sounds, their transitions, etc. It actually helps if you even try to recreate a segment of your favorite track, just to practice learning techniques and effects. Be sure to also use YouTube and sites such as this one to learn more about technical stuff and theories. Books are also great for theories. I myself am still very new to music production. Most of what I have learned is from experimentation, careful listening, research on YouTube and this site, and feedback from friends and helpful professionals from this site as well. You have all of the tools you need right here. Use them to the max homie, I believe in you. Good luck bro ;)

I might try do some more of listening to my favorite artists again to try get some inspiration and learn from them to see what they do to make their tracks so good. The only issue is that it can give the effect of "holy shit I can't produce anything even close to that" and just kills your motivation and when you go back to listen to your tracks they all sound terrible but meh its worth another shot at it. I will look into finding some more resources for sound design and structure of bass drops as for me these are the two main areas I need to work on (I know the concepts of EQ etc. it's just practicing to use them). Thanks for your tips and feedback I couldn't ask for me and I wish you all the best of luck.

KyleSnelgroveSNELL;4***8923 said:
These are all very nice points you've made kiz. +1 for you :)
I totally agree. I felt like I wasn't HOOKED to begin with. And sadly, the average attention span we have for entertainment is approx. five seconds. It did sound mellow through the whole track, and really, what I would be trying to do is to try to get an audience to feel a certain mood at a specific time. I'm not talking about ambient tracks or anything like that, but in general. It's a valid point to state that this track didn't have life in it. as kiz said, adding some low end synths will bring some life back into the track. But dude you do have the foundation going here. We'e here to help you grow, and you definitely will if you keep it up :)

- SNELL :)

I guess the only good way to look it is that the ideas are there it's just putting them together was not the best but hey you learn from your mistakes and learn from them. Thanks for your feedback and good luck with your future productions : )

If you have any tracks you want me to give feedback on or check out I would be happy to return the favor.

Back