Would y'all sample vinyl drums from the internet?

dmajor100

trying to get some nice drum vinyl drums but all the records i have a weak ass 50s and 60s records with no soul in them that cater to those drums. So I've brought it upon myself to cheat and sample at the highest quality off youtube and just search for drum breaks and chop them up and make my kits this way. The only thing is I'm not sure about is the digital processing that youtube puts it threw and not sure if this will weaken the main purpose of getting good vinyl sounds. I can't spend endless time digging for records that have drum sounds and don't think i can spend the money and internet is just too simple and beats going out and about. If i clean up and samples and process them right with saturation and distortion do y'all think i can achieve a good enough sound?

I would...yeah it takes the essence of actual vinyl, but if your worrying about digital processing, most likely its gonna be played back via a digital device anyway. On the internet its like what you hear is what you get take it or leave it when sampling. If its a good find and it has your attention enough why let it pass? Some of these things are easy to over-think at times, but it really comes down to whats heard when its all put together.

Most of the time its not the era of the drums but the genre of the drums and processing that happens during production. You want hard hitting drums out the gate look at funk, rock, and soul sometimes jazz. Of course those are general rules. Also keep it very mid 60s and the 70s in general. Also digging for breaks takes time and patience you will find more garbage before you find gems. If you are down for buying some vinyl drums check the link in my sig. Judah, Gems From The Crates and Minty Fresh breaks are all great vinyl kits. I have their entire collection and while I haven't used everything they are offering (though I own it all) the stuff I have used from it is solid.

It depends on the quality with which the example was uploaded, and then again, there are those pesky copyright rules.

Two suggestions for you (one will require a turntable, which from your post I'd assume you have):

1) Find a series of LP's (any or all of them) called "Drum Drops," specifically made for songwriter's demos and recordings in the days before drum machines. These are vinyl LP's with nothing but drum and percussion grooves, structured in nice song-like formats (verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus; etc., etc.). they can be cut up in any kind of loop length and sound nice and make sense. All kinds of grooves.

2) Book a session at a recording studio that can actually track drums, hire a drummer (or ask a friend), and have him or her play a mess of different grooves and tempos while you record. Also, be sure to get discrete hits from each piece of the kit. Have said player sign a release form for the performance, and have the engineer burn you copies of mixes and individual tracks in whichever format is best for you... !Voila! Your own custom drum tracks and sounds that no one else will have, at least not in exactly the same way.

OK, I said two suggestions, but here's three and 1/2: Find someone who can get copies for you of material from number 1, or do a session for you as outlined in number 2-- pay a fair, respectable fee for merchandise, and !Voila! Problem solved.

GJ
PS-- Did I mention I have all of the "Drum Drops" LP's, and a recording studio with a drumset all miked-up and ready to go?

Last edited:
Nope. Only thing i sample from the internet is like movie monologue or dialogue or something. All my sounds are either from vinyl or synthesizers

Back