Why Do People Look Down on Looping Samples?

FuGiTiVe_beatz

Why do cats say they hate (which is basically admitting theyre haters) when a beatman uses a few chopped loops to make a beat, with snares/claps, bassline, hi hat sequence, a fx or synth or two? Alot of the most revered and classic hip hop records of all time were created in this manner including but not limited to:

Let Me Ride
Nothin But A G Thang
Dre Day
Lil Ghetto Boy
Big Poppa
Juicy
Warning
Today Was A Good Day
C.R.E.A.M
(Matter fact I take that back, EVERYTHING THE TANG EVER DID THAT I LIKED! ala LIQUID SWORDS)
You Know How We Do It
Addictive

and tooo many others to name!

Alot of these samples arent even more than ONE loop.... just the same one over and over and over, and these songs helped sell millions of units and were 90% of the time the hit single on a hit record? So I ask why is this so many peoples pet peeve? Also, why is is that its said that if you dont add a million other sounds to a sample or chop the sample to DEATH and make some strange sound collage that only sounds good usually to the person that arranged it, you are not being creative?

Some people want to bring back a sound from back in the day and dont distort the sample to bring that same feel into their arrangement. Some people CAN RAP THEIR ASSES OFF to a looped sample and SOUND GREAT! Alot of people who arent into making beats dont even know when a sample is used half the time. IF YOURE NOT AN OLD MAN LIKE ME or youre not into making music YOU PROLLY WOULDNT KNOW DR. DRE GOT RICH GETTIN HIS SOOPER DOOPER SAMPLE ON. Same with 95% of east coast hip hop up to about 2003. JMO

So theres my opinion, whats yours? Lets get this discussion started..... if youre gonna be a smart ass or only type a sentence or two pleas miss this thread entirely. If you wanna discuss music and have an opinion on this topic I look forward to a holla bacc!

Last edited:
Because almost anybody can loop a sample. When you chop them and play out your own melody, you get that feeling that even though its someone else's work, you created something new and different from it. With looping, I feel like I'm just blatantly ripping off someone else's work. I know most of my favorite classic hip hop beats were made from loops, but it just aint for me personally.

How about who gives a ****?

Not being aggressive towards anyone, but really tho: who gives a ****?

I usually chop and slice and flip. But, I've done a few tunes from a straight loop and drums before, and guess what? It was actually dope! (can you belive it?!?!) If it sounds hot the way it is, why change it so drastically? Besides, you'll see alot where its not so much the main riff being looped, but that one sweet spot (for example, the transition from the main to the bridge), that one spot that soo many ppl do actually seem to love but only hear it once per play and giving you *that* as the main riff.

I understand the whole "Feels like I'm ripping someone elses work," thats you. The whole listener preference and producer/beatmaker/artist preference is ALL SUBJECTIVE (thats why its called a PREFERENCE). You also have to think, there is always two sides to something, just think about it a little. I'm not even gonna explain that, I want you to think about it. You dont even have to post it in here, cause this is about expanding your mind -- not saying, oh you have to like looping because there is another side to it, yet I'm saying understand the other side (and without being so damn aggressive, its completely unnessarry)

But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this, because I'm sure we all know this entire thing comes down to one thing: Go make music. Cause if you busy with that, then you too damn busy to worry about what the next man is doing and what the next man is thinking.

Also, on a side note: No, not *anyone* can loop. Not even almost. Maybe for the most part the (at the very least half decent) producers/beatmakers can. But Joe Schmo cannot.

I don't look down on it. But sometimes it sounds good when you loop it, but sounds even better if you chop it up. I.e. DJ Premier chops most of his stuff, and sounds crazyy!

listen bro i got some advice man i been doing this thing for awhile and people around you can say that its looped blah blah blah , but yo , its not even about that man , its about making good music , if it sounds good when looped, then loops it a million times, if it gets tiring then them dudes tellin u that might not b hatin after all, really if u looping , get feedbk from different people cause then u spot out the real feedbk from the pure hate,
all in all i'd say your ears are your best feedbk , if it sound repetitive to you then switch your style up, but hiphop was built on looping so i wouldnt get too alarmed about it, it's one of the essence of pure hiphop in its rawest form , so jus make your loopin more relevant to these times and dont let it sund too dated, you gotta sound like the future thats why we on futureproducers right ?...lol : ) ...let the haters hate ....1 brah.

i'm too drunk to read anything but the thread title... ..BUT i can say one thing. sometimes the sample is just too good to be chopped. i always chop the **** out of samples but i like to listen to beat that has good sample looped. it's all about making good music...

cheers !!
:cheers:

I use the sample however I feel it's best to be used. Some people feel like it doesn't take a lot of creativity to loop a sample I guess. But that's too much for me to think about. I just concentrate on making good music. Let everybody else nitpick over the details.

its funny cuz i just looped the f+++ out of a song and it was hot but i usually make it from wav samples like kick snare, fx ect but its really whatever floats ur boat cuz its u who bring in money from ur tracks. not the haterz

I myself like to chop samples up to make them un-recognizable for the fun of it even though I know that the original loop is sometimes nothing to f##k wit. You just can't top perfection.

I agree with scrilla, just make good music. whatever it takes to make a banger, then do it. slice chop loop record edit pitch master automate or just fart into a microphone. Haters will always hate because thats the only thing they are good at... If they made hot beats they wouldnt be complaining so much.

Awake said:
Because almost anybody can loop a sample. When you chop them and play out your own melody, you get that feeling that even though its someone else's work, you created something new and different from it. With looping, I feel like I'm just blatantly ripping off someone else's work. I know most of my favorite classic hip hop beats were made from loops, but it just aint for me personally.
thats a nice perspective / point of view
Sometimes i'll loop a sample but 8 out of 10 times, i'll chop it up my own way

it was coo back then . but sampling has developed with different techniques and equipment when back in the 80/90's it was a new thing.

Main problem i usually see with the sample looper's arguments is they always seem to name tracks from the 90s. Anyway, nothing is wrong with a sample loop when it works but this is 2008. Don't expect a method that was popular back in 94 to fly 14 years later. Musicianship is really progressing in hip-hop and you'd be wise to incorporate both sampling and composing.

i agree do u just make hot music ...the only reason i dont loop samples is because when someone hears my sample track i want them to be like damn how in the hell that is hott......not damn i think i have that loop " person persumes to make the same beat with different drums" i just think with loops alot of times ur not the only one to make that beat ... but i will loop a sample occationally if its just too hot to chop..

vibewithTy said:
Main problem i usually see with the sample looper's arguments is they always seem to name tracks from the 90s. Anyway, nothing is wrong with a sample loop when it works but this is 2008. Don't expect a method that was popular back in 94 to fly 14 years later. Musicianship is really progressing in hip-hop and you'd be wise to incorporate both sampling and composing.

I agree with you, but 2009 isnt really the space age when compared to 98' also better music was coming out in the 90s then what we have today. Usually every decade one genre of music is incorporated and/or morphed into another style or genre of music. Alot of what we have now at least far as popular music is concerned is pure T BOO****!!

In the 90s my momma and gramma would watch videos on mtv in the morning... Janet Jackson had heat, Tupac had I get around and Keep your head up ALL EYEZ, there was doggystyle, boyz to men had niggaz on bended knee,etc. and even new styles brought to the table were coo.

Now we have sooper dooper generic dumbed down music and booshizzidy fused with techno and dance music. Also shiz that wouldnt get no blay bacc in the day, real simple broke ass radioshack keyboard sounds are trumping records with real solid and inovative tecniques and a endless variety of sounds!

With that said..... Is new tecniques and a decade later an explanation for why some of the best hip hop/rap records are/were based on loops?

Why is the music now so uninspiring?

Maybe its easier to make a hit with a sample from a hit record of the past. Maybe that older feel is unique and desireable..... JMO

WHAT SAYS THE FPerz?

loops rock!!
And some cats forget that hiphop is simple music and like the philosopher Schopenhauer said in his essays:"Simplicity is the mark of genius"
A lot of times,a loop is just enough,Dilla looped Luther Ingram and that was dope,his ear was just amazing yet he could compose and chop.
What about Young Jeezy "Circulate" where he raps over the whole Billy Paul original song,that was dope!!

Back