Who Flips Samples best ?

this is tuff, they both have a similar style i think. I know a lot of Just Blaze & Kanye beats get confused also.

I go for Just Blaze cause his drums are slightly better, i think.

Last edited:
^ I like that Just Blaze will sit on a drum kit and actually play drums .. live instruments always help a record in my opinion

Yeah but Kanye got that something special... he can layer samples like no one in the game. Song Power is a masterpiece in my opinion - a couple of samples from completely different songs from different genres.. He's the best at the moment.

"I flip the base then erase any trace of sample evidence"-Pete Rock

Last edited:
Yeah but Kanye got that something special... he can layer samples like no one in the game. Song Power is a masterpiece in my opinion - a couple of samples from completely different songs from different genres.. He's the best at the moment.

'Power' was originally produced by S1.

I agree with Nasir. In terms of music producers alive today, 9th Wonder is always consistent and feverishly dank. But, to me, the crown of the sample king definitely goes to J Dilla. Although he's gone now, I heard from MCs such as Common that he would produce an inordinate amount of beats per day. The volume at which Dilla produced his music is nothing less than amazing. Also, Dilla was really great at conforming his drum tones to the specific sample itself. What a G he was. RIP Jay Dee.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Pete Rock was (or is currently still?) amazing too. 9th Wonder said that he used Pete Rock's "beats by the pound" philosophy very heavily. But, Pete Rock himself even said that, once Dilla really surfaced as a diabolical hip hop producer, he passed down the crown (or something like that) from himself to Dilla. In other words, Pete Rock basically said that Dilla surpassed him haha.

I agree with Nasir. In terms of music producers alive today, 9th Wonder is always consistent and feverishly dank. But, to me, the crown of the sample king definitely goes to J Dilla. Although he's gone now, I heard from MCs such as Common that he would produce an inordinate amount of beats per day. The volume at which Dilla produced his music is nothing less than amazing. Also, Dilla was really great at conforming his drum tones to the specific sample itself. What a G he was. RIP Jay Dee.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Pete Rock was (or is currently still?) amazing too. 9th Wonder said that he used Pete Rock's "beats by the pound" philosophy very heavily. But, Pete Rock himself even said that, once Dilla really surfaced as a diabolical hip hop producer, he passed down the crown (or something like that) from himself to Dilla. In other words, Pete Rock basically said that Dilla surpassed him haha.

I've never heard about that. Could you elaborate on Pete Rock's "beats by the pound" philosophy?

I definitely say Madlib flips samples the best but J Dilla is just as good and it's just a matter of opinion.

Back