What is the _BEST_ TR-808 library available?

orjanbeats

I have seen a bunch of different tr-808 kits floating around the web, and I also have some myself. But I wanna know, what is the absolutely best tr-808 kit available (besides having a real 808 of course) ?

I got mines off of a Bigfishaudio library called XTc Files Of Hip-Hop. It got the 808's 909's all that and they hot but you have to pay to play homie. Check out Bigfishaudio they got so dope libraries. But they ain't cheap but they more real then banging beats and modern beats to me. Not promoting just keeping it real.

The best 808 kit you will find is the one that comes with the Roland MV-8000. The real 808's straight from Roland.

808s can be as good as the quality of the audio. so ofcourse the actual roland machines would be better than getting them from a website anyday.

http://www.tr-808.com/

25 Bass Drum sounds
25 Snare Drum sounds
5 Low Tom sounds
5 Mid Tom sounds
5 Hi Tom sounds
5 Low Conga sounds
5 Mid Conga sounds
5 Hi Conga sounds
1 Rim Shot sound
1 Claves sound
1 Hand Clap sound
1 Maracas sound
1 Cow Bell sound
25 Cymbal sounds
5 Open Hi Hat sounds
1 Closed Hi Hat sound

...making for a grand total of 116 sound samples of the Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer!

These samples were taken _DIRECTLY_ from a Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer (SERIAL NO. 103852). They are _NOT_ samples of samples (i.e. sampled from a recent drum machine, such as the Boss DR-660, Roland R-8, R-8MkII, etc...) In other words, these samples were taken from a REAL TR-808. All samples were recorded from the individual sound outputs (I did NOT use the "HI" or "LO" "LEVEL" "MASTER OUT"puts!). While being recorded, each sound (on the TR-808) was at highest volume level (with all other volume levels set to the lowest possible setting), and the master volume (on the TR-808) was always at the lowest setting. All samples were made using SoundEdit 16 1.0.0 on a Macintosh Quadra 660AV.

orjanbeats said:
I have seen a bunch of different tr-808 kits floating around the web, and I also have some myself. But I wanna know, what is the absolutely best tr-808 kit available (besides having a real 808 of course) ?

Orjanbeats, if you're interested and have the Reason 2.0 or higher, go to my site-www.hi-pweredprod.com and you can download my 808 sounds for free that I've compiled as a Reason refill from the TR-808 Rhythm Composer samples.

Pimptype2K6 said:
Orjanbeats, if you're interested and have the Reason 2.0 or higher, go to my site-www.hi-pweredprod.com and you can download my 808 sounds for free that I've compiled as a Reason refill from the TR-808 Rhythm Composer samples.

Ait, which site was the original samples from?

And the 808's that are included with the MV-8000, are they samples? Or are they built-in algorithms, like a little synth section inside the MV-8000?

The 808's that come with the MV-8000 is a patch with like 3 banks of samples, it's a .MVO file specific for the MV.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean synthesized within the MV? It's a patch with samples...but they can be tweaked like the synth patches.

In a real 808, it ain't any samples, just synth algorithms (like in every other analog synth). I just wondered if the MV works the same way, that it has some sort of synth built in and that the 808 algorithms are the same as in the original 808. But is it possible to take the individual 808 samples out of the MV-patch? Or is it like one self-containing file, like in reason refills?

real 808s don't allow much tweaking to begin with... 2 knobs max. what do you think you're missing out on?

Last edited by a moderator:
bigzone said:
real 808s don't allow much tweaking to begin with... 2 knobs max. what do you think you're missing out on?

I dunno... I just heard that no samples can ever compete with a real tr-808 machine (haven't tried a real machine myself though)... So I just wanted what was closest

Like I said earlier, the closest you will get to real 808's is the patch that comes with the MV-8000. The reason I say this because they come straight from Roland...the company who made the original 808. Other than that you might be able to buy some samples online that are close to the same quality, but I don't think anything can compare to 808's coming straight from Roland.

Question. i'm i dont know the full potential of 808 kits but why just 808 909 kits when you can just sample off jazz vinyl or get moderndrums. 808 kits i had before sounded dry as hell.

btw what is 606 707 808 909 mean?

Yogz: it's not like I don't have enough drums. I have plenty, but some type of beats might need 808 type of drums, and you can't just replace 808's with "jazz vinyl or moderndrums".

bry04: yes I see your point but I can't buy a MV-8000 just to have the 808 kit from it. Do you know if it is possible to buy the MV-8000 808 kit separately?

As far as I know, you can't buy the MV's 808 patch seperately. If you could, it wouldn't work because it's a .MVO file...which is specific to the MV-8000. You can check out the Roland site, maybe they have some info on buying it?

magnondon said:
Its simple get 808 kit samples and tweak them till you like or buy a original 808

Yes of course, but the "not so simple" part here is to find the best 808 samples in the first place...

Back