Vestax HandyTrax vs. Numark PT01?!?.. help me decide!

H

hughez

sup guys
i plan to make sample-based hip hop and need a turntable so i can sample from. i figured why not get a portable one so i can take with me and listen to **** before i buy. so it came down to the two obvious: numark pt01 and the vestax handytrax.

now which would u guys recommend for what i want to do?... i am leaning towards the Numark PT01, but i wanna see what u guys think?

if u guys already own one of these two, tell me what u guys think of it.

thanks once again!
peace!

I run with the Numark PT01 and not having any problems with it. In one forum, if I am not mistaken, they said Pete Rock did a review on the PT01 vs. Vestax Handy and recommended PT01.

keep in mind that the portable turntable's needle was not designed for high quality sampling...merely listening to records while digging. You're not going to get the best needle on a portable turntable, but it'll play records.

Less expensive the better in this case. Numark all the way.

westlogic said:
I run with the Numark PT01 and not having any problems with it. In one forum, if I am not mistaken, they said Pete Rock did a review on the PT01 vs. Vestax Handy and recommended PT01.
I think the PT01 is a very good portable turntable.I remembered when I was deciding between the Handy Trax and the Pt-01,and I asked the guy who was working at the store what was the differences between the two and he basically told me that the pt01 was a better choice and I went to this record store and they have Handy Trax and didn't notice a difference at all.
Anyways,I'm very satisfied with my purchase!!

It seems like people love the portability of the PT01 but often complain about the sound. What would you guys have if portability doesn't matter and you want great sound? All I want to do is sample (no scratching).

I have several turntables at home - a Tech from when I used to DJ, an old Sony jumpoff, and a PT01. The last one I got was the PT01. I really don't notice a problem with "fullness", even using the needle it came with. The PT01 does have an onboard EQ, which I leave at 12 o'clock... I'd imagine that might help you get a better sound out of it. Still, the best sounding one I have is the old Sony, believe it or not. That one is actually meant for listening to music though.

When I was initially shopping for a portable, the HandyTrax was the one I wanted, but after thinking about it, I ended up going with the Numark. Of course, it helped that I got it for just over $70 (incl. shipping).

-AD

Im probably gonna get the Pt01 also. I've got a decent sony tt for sampling, but than I can bring the pt01 digging and just for listening and stuff.

people are complaining about the needle. if you change out the cartridge wouldnt it sound better anyway?

ive got the handy trax...no complaints about it...i use it for diggin and actually samplin the records...the needle hasnt messed up on me or anything...if u want an indication of what it sounds like just check out my myspace page...

Back