Is there a way to make the exact same length chops in recycle?

what do you even mean? the same chop? or lots of diff ones the same length?

Like if I wanted to make 24 chops all the same length starting at one point and ending at another.

Yeah but the sample isn't lined up perfectly with the grid. I wish there was a way to put a slice on a certain part of the sample, then duplicate it over and over.

do you want a certain length of slicing time? sounds like you need ableton. with that you can warp the sample from the first transient. and the slice to midi. either by your own slicing points or slicing the whole thing in 1/4s or 18's etc. surely you could do that on recycle? isnt there a grid option that you can make sure your slice is the right size for each chop?

If you skipped learning how to make a proper loop then ReCycle will just work off whatever incorrect length you cut your loop to, and so it will use that incorrect information to determine the tempo and grid, but even if you did calculate the correct loop length based on tempo you might have issues if the source material contains swing.

Without having the correct length (and therefore the correct tempo) to begin with you will need to drag the right locator around until the grid fits, but like I said earlier if you have swing in your source material then that shit might not line up anyway.

You shouldn't have excess slices to remove if you set up the grid so all the slices will be exactly the same length.

I set the grid with the bars and beats BTW.

Last edited:
I don’t often get to read much online, but I’m glad to have found this post. You are a unique writer with a special flair.

why do you even want to make them all the same? just make you chops and then play them in the certain desired time, with the same length of gaps between them. make the sampler your using monovoice and the samples will choke each other when the next one is played? just an idea. hope it helps

You shouldn't have excess slices to remove if you set up the grid so all the slices will be exactly the same length.

I set the grid with the bars and beats BTW.
I get 64 slices on a 4 bar loop when set up to beats and slice to grid in Recycle 2.2.2. when I should only have 16. How are you not having the same problem?

okay i got a question?? This is all very good information and is extremely helpful so far, thanks everybody. Okay so to get the tempo of my sample to match the desired tempo of my project, I find the original samples tempo in recycle and then change the other tempo knob to match the tempo of my project? sorry if thats confusing and i said tempo 95 times.

Last edited:
In Recycle you should input the original tempo of the sample and save that as part of your rex file. Reason will then do the math internally to make it fit to the best of its ability but without time stretch in Recycle its mostly a great feature for drums. What I usually do is chop on the downbeat and then I can usually play to just about any tempo I want.

well how do i go about finding the bpm of the sample? i think that may be where im messing things up

In Recycle you should input the original tempo of the sample and save that as part of your rex file. Reason will then do the math internally to make it fit to the best of its ability but without time stretch in Recycle its mostly a great feature for drums. What I usually do is chop on the downbeat and then I can usually play to just about any tempo I want.

ReCycle calculates the tempo based on the length you have set with the left and right locators, this is because length and tempo go hand in hand and you can't change one without the other with one exception, you can change the meter and that's what you do when entering the bars and beats in ReCycle, and Xabiton makes a good point about saving REX files with the right tempo for your project so it's a good idea to set the bars and beats back to what they should be after you have used them to change the grid resolution (your locked slices will still be OK). In addition to changing the grid resolution when editing you can stretch the grid back and forth with the right (or left) locator or you can set the locators at different positions and apply slices to the grid in different places or at different grid resolutions.

I never have any problems with getting the right tempo or the right loop lengths because I always use one to work out the other, and while it takes a bit of time to master, i have found that doing the math works out to be a lot faster in the long run than mousing around and getting shit wrong anyway.

In order to find the tempo of a track I time a few bars with my stopwatch and then calculate the tempo, you can probably do the same thing with tap tempo but the trick to accuracy is to tap out bars rather than from beat to beat. You can forget about setting the correct tempo by adjusting a sample's length in an editor by ear, it's just not going to happen unless you get lucky, this is because your point of reference becomes the two locators rather than having a feel for the original timing like you do when using tap tempo or a stopwatch in my case.

Back