technics 1200 or....

Brainiak Beats

Whatsup everyone,
So i want to start sampling vinyl. and obviously my first choice is a technics 1200 mk2.
but even used, with buying a good cartridge and everything it goes a little beyond my budget
ideally, ide like to get a TT and cartridge for around and under 500

Do you have any suggestions?

and out of curiousity, what tts do ya'll use?

thanks

Your budget is so close to gettin a 1200 and may be enough to get a used one already, so why not save up a bit if needed to get one since it would be your first choice?

I use 1210mk2's (=black 1200), Ecler HAK 360 for mixer and Shure m44G cartridges.

Yeah i hear what your saying jyri,
It was more of a curiosity thing, and ive done some research but i wanted to hear from people firsthand
if/ what else on the market i should be aware of and consider before i lock this purchase in.
thanks for the reply

I was hesitating weeks ago and finally went for a Stanton ST-150. For the price of a used 1200, I have a new and modern turntable, with hardware support if something goes wrong. And, as it would be my first turntable, I wouldn't know what to check on the 1200 to see if it's in a good shape. I didn't wanted to be ****ed in a month by a little piece of metal I didn't see a month before.

I was hesitating weeks ago and finally went for a Stanton ST-150. For the price of a used 1200, I have a new and modern turntable, with hardware support if something goes wrong. And, as it would be my first turntable, I wouldn't know what to check on the 1200 to see if it's in a good shape. I didn't wanted to be ****ed in a month by a little piece of metal I didn't see a month before.
Thanks for the recomendation, i'm really considering this, on ebay it's going for about 500 us. what do you think about the stock needle?

Thanks for the recomendation, i'm really considering this, on ebay it's going for about 500 us. what do you think about the stock needle?

I can't judge it yet. I bought a Shure M44-7 cartridge but haven't set it up yet because I forgot to buy the headshell...
When I will, I'll be able to compare, but right now I can't say anything beside it actually does read records ;)
Used with a pair of Fostex PM0.5 mkII, it sounds good!

But it seems that the platter isn't perfectly plane, so the arm goes up and down (few millimeters) while playing.
It isn't really important for straight playing, but I wanted to scratch a little so I got to send it back to the shop.

If I went for a 1200, that's typically the flaw I wouldn't see. And there wouldn't be customer service.
Maybe the 1200 wouldn't have this type of problem, I know. But still, the shop will probably send me a new one for free.

I can't judge it yet. I bought a Shure M44-7 cartridge but haven't set it up yet because I forgot to buy the headshell...
When I will, I'll be able to compare, but right now I can't say anything beside it actually does read records ;)
Used with a pair of Fostex PM0.5 mkII, it sounds good!

But it seems that the platter isn't perfectly plane, so the arm goes up and down (few millimeters) while playing.
It isn't really important for straight playing, but I wanted to scratch a little so I got to send it back to the shop.

If I went for a 1200, that's typically the flaw I wouldn't see. And there wouldn't be customer service.
Maybe the 1200 wouldn't have this type of problem, I know. But still, the shop will probably send me a new one for free.

Right now everythings coming out my akai RMP3's ( there allright...) yeah ide like the abillity to cratch, but i'm not really a dj, 95% of it's use is going to be for listening/ sampling

Then it should be ok I guess, give it a try, and if it really doesn't suit you, then just return it.
Besides this platter issue, it seems to be a really good turntable. But again, I can't fairly judge!

You can most def find used, i just sold 2 tech 1200mk2 for $475 no cartridges tho so could def get yourself one with cartridge and still have loot left over for $500

Whatsup everyone,
So i want to start sampling vinyl. and obviously my first choice is a technics 1200 mk2.
but even used, with buying a good cartridge and everything it goes a little beyond my budget
ideally, ide like to get a TT and cartridge for around and under 500

Do you have any suggestions?

and out of curiousity, what tts do ya'll use?

thanks

Be careful not to go too low on price when copping a turntable. I remember going from my gemeni BD10 to sampling from a portable Vestax and the difference was noticeable. the Vestax's sound was thin and hollow compared to the Gemini which gave me a more full sonic range. My first choice would be a Technics just cus of the great experience I've had listening to them in record shops, libraries etc but for a cheap alternative for around 100 check out the Audio Technica AT-PL50

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Remember to carefully select and monitor your cartridge as well, it's a big factor on the sound quality you will get no matter what turntable you use.

Just go for it man, the build quality on a lot of cheaper decks is so much worse you end up spending loads to get it looked at if/when it goes wrong

Back