So, How do YOU Sample?

thanks to the jj os on the 1000, there are a lot more chopping options available.

heres a technique ive figured out that opens up alot of possiblities... say you have a 1 bar sample looped. in the step sequence screen you can set the same event (same sample/pad) at 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4

then for each event, you can adjust the time from 1 to 100 for decay, attack, start time, end time, etc. so set them all to start. then you just adjust the numbers according to where you want your hits. basically this gives you really fast control over sounds and samples. if you adjust the tempo of the beat and tuning of samples its really the ****. you can quickly make a bunch of copies, and break down a 100 bpm sample down to 90 bpm...it will look kind of like this.

1.1 A09 start 10

1.1.24 A09 start 12

1.1.48 A09 start 15

1.2 A09 start 18

1.2.24 A09 start 20

Limitating to a unique and exclusive source of sampling is limitating your creativity.

Heterogeneous methods of sampling results into a wider spectrum of samples varieties

1. For sampling other artists, I extract the cda files and use software Cool Edit Pro to convert them into .wav files. Chop them and then import these files throught USB to a Roland V Synth to process them with its engine. In this way, I don't lose audio quality.

2. For resampling my music, I connect the optical output of the Vsynth to the optical line in of the Roland SP 808ex. I also connect other synths to the line in of the V synth, to sent everything throught optical cables.

3. For sampling exteriors, I use a MINIDISK with a MIC. I climb trees and record birdsongs, leave the mic into my garden and sample crickets.

4.I also connect a microphone to the line in of the SP 808 or other sampler and place the mic next to a speaker, to obtain a mono lo fi effect.

5. Connect the line in to a line out of an old radio, and sample wathever from local radios.

i say go with Live. Version 7 is a great upgrade. a big comlaint with people (including me) was that u couldn't really chop samples up in Live, but now u can. if they would have come up with this upgrade a year ago, i wouldn't have gotten Battery (even though Battery is a more complete sample chopper, Live can definitely get the job done now.)

http://www.ableton.com/live

check it out

man just get a mpc an cd recorder and chop some samples up the add a twist to it with a key board or some samples

FL studio is just so eaisly set up for sampling and a lot eaiser to learn what to do then most programs.

Personally, I still use Cool Edit Pro, ReCycle, and Reason 3.0. Dr. Rex has not let me down......yet. lmao

Kevdino said:
Howdy all,

Personally, Since REcycle crapped out in 10.5, I'm back to using Audacity, then running the chops through NN-XT, and EQing from there.quote]

How do you mean when you say: Recycle crapped out in 10.5?? I have version 2.1, im trying to figure out what you meant fam ...:confused:

Last edited:
I used to use Audition, then I started just using Edison in FL Studio. Lately I've been using Sony Acid. The beatmapper is really easy and I like the workflow better because you necessarily "chop" samples ever. You are literally shaping and rearranging the waveform as you go.

balma said:
Limitating to a unique and exclusive source of sampling is limitating your creativity.

Ummm, Limitating is not even a word. But it was very creative of you to make up this new word and use it twice in a sentence.

Well done!

true_ny_hip-hop said:
Kevdino said:
Howdy all,

Personally, Since REcycle crapped out in 10.5, I'm back to using Audacity, then running the chops through NN-XT, and EQing from there.quote]

How do you mean when you say: Recycle crapped out in 10.5?? I have version 2.1, im trying to figure out what you meant fam ...:confused:

What I meant was that Recycle is not working on the new Mac Operating system leopard (10.5), atleast not yet.

Kevdino said:
true_ny_hip-hop said:
What I meant was that Recycle is not working on the new Mac Operating system leopard (10.5), atleast not yet.

Ahhhhhh, ok....damn that sucks....guess I gotta wait till recycle 2.2 or somethin comes out. The program really does need upgrading..been way past time..

Back