Sampling drum breaks on vinyls and youtube

Nasir33149

I know that its better to get your own drums off the vinyls than downloading drum kits on the internet but is there a difference from downloading drums off the internet and sampling drum breaks off the songs from youtube?

The sound is different yes. To some that is important to others it is not. I prefer to sample vinyl myself.

Yes youtube compresses it and changes its bitrate, giving it a more lofi sound. So you dont know what bitrate your recording at until after the fact. And altering your sound you might want to do this after words. So you can change it back if you like.

I wouldn't sample drums off youtube. I wouldn't call the sound lo-fi either. An SP1200 or a S950 is lo-fi, youtube is just shit.

I wouldn't sample drums off youtube. I wouldn't call the sound lo-fi either. An SP1200 or a S950 is lo-fi, youtube is just shit.

LOL. I sample from vinyl because it sounds better to me. I dont have a problem getting vinyl so youtube would be my last resort. Also if you do have to sample from youtube, dont do it straight to your DAW. If you have one, run it through your mixer for more control of the EQ. I have a CDJ that has a thumb drive slot on it, so if I do take something from the net, I put it on my thumb drive===>CDJ===> Behringer DJ Mixer===> Behringer Channel Mixing Board===> Audio Interface===> FL Studio(Edison). By the time its in there, its so much better sound to me. But to each his own.

My first choice would be vinyl but producing is in the moment and about using what you got. I do both with no problem but I do prefer sampling off vinyl that way I have more control over the way I record it and the sound is simply just better that way.

Yes youtube compresses it and changes its bitrate, giving it a more lofi sound. So you dont know what bitrate your recording at until after the fact. And altering your sound you might want to do this after words. So you can change it back if you like.

most video is done in 16 bit but that wouldn't make it sound lofi that would just give the sound less head room. Perhaps you mean sample rates? I don't know if I would call youtube gritty though not in 2012.

I know that its better to get your own drums off the vinyls than downloading drum kits on the internet but is there a difference from downloading drums off the internet and sampling drum breaks off the songs from youtube?

ok here is the 100% correct answer. The only difference is how it sounds originally. for instance if you like the sound of a drum break on youtube its just as good if not better then vinyl. why? because you like it. I'm not being a smart ass here but it is really that simple I have sampled from so many different sources to get the sound I want. drum kits downloaded are usually shitty and that has nothing to do with weather it came from vinyl or not nothing at all to do with it. they are usually just shitty kits. you can make a drum kit from sampling vinyl and share it on the internet.

I should say I'm talking about sampling sound not playing back a file (mp3 wav etc.) bit rate doesn't come into play here cause im not taking a youtube video and converting it to an mp3 then chopping that and playing it back I'm sampling the sound into my mixer EQ to taste boosting the level etc. So I wind up with what I want not settling for the results of a compressed sound. does that mean the same sound on vinyl isn't better? no it should be much better quality on vinyl or CD its not compressed.

Last edited:
YouTube encodes videos converting/compressing and then streaming it at various audio bit-rates (kbps). If its less than 128kbps you can get a lofi sound like tape, muffled, and dirty. Also less headroom like you've mentioned.

128kb mp3 does not sound anything like good either

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

ok here is the 100% correct answer. The only difference is how it sounds originally. for instance if you like the sound of a drum break on youtube its just as good if not better then vinyl. why? because you like it. I'm not being a smart ass here but it is really that simple I have sampled from so many different sources to get the sound I want. drum kits downloaded are usually shitty and that has nothing to do with weather it came from vinyl or not nothing at all to do with it. they are usually just shitty kits. you can make a drum kit from sampling vinyl and share it on the internet.

I should say I'm talking about sampling sound not playing back a file (mp3 wav etc.) bit rate doesn't come into play here cause im not taking a youtube video and converting it to an mp3 then chopping that and playing it back I'm sampling the sound into my mixer EQ to taste boosting the level etc. So I wind up with what I want not settling for the results of a compressed sound. does that mean the same sound on vinyl isn't better? no it should be much better quality on vinyl or CD its not compressed.

what makes you think that vinyl and cd is not compressed? its not compressed the same way mp3s are but I highly doubt there is no compression on those records

I said anything less than 128kbps. Because 128kbps is CD quality. Below that might not sound completely accurate and sufficient to rip from a bangin vinyl. To to the general population wishing to take a pepsi challange. Theyd think they were listening to a tape or a shit recording.

I said anything less than 128kbps. Because 128kbps is CD quality. Below that might not sound completely accurate and sufficient to rip from a bangin vinyl. To to the general population wishing to take a pepsi challange. Theyd think they were listening to a tape or a shit recording.

128kb isn't really cd quality either to the ear just on paper 192k sounds more like a cd to my ears but I don't really like the sound of cds over vinyl either lol.

There is a difference for sure. However, the end listener probably can't tell the different. Don't put limitations to what you can and can't sample based on purist or technical details. If the end result bangs and sounds good... then sample off YouTube all day. But Vinyl will yield better results if properly sampled.

Wow look at all these opinions....

So here is mine cause I got one too. I use anything I want to make a sample, a record, my mic, my phone, a portable recorder, youtube, viemo, my ol'lady, some MILF, etc, etc, etc... There is NO LIMITS!!! If a sound I like came from a NASA file, I'm going to use it, tweak it, eq it, and sell it....

Nah, who gone POP ME !!!!

you can find breaks on youtube that are just as good as getting them from vinyl because who ever recorded them and uploaded them to youtube ripped then from vinyl.

Last edited:
Back