Sampler = Composer

J

junebugz

Everybodys samples. Even if you are a professional musician like me and never steal other people's work (chop a composition I don't own and publish)....... when you record yourself (your instrument) that in itself is a sample.

I am not against sampling (which we all do) but I am against those who STEAL other's work and publish the work as their own. It's just like jacking someone's car. Thats a felony and stealing someones else work and publishing that work could be a felony as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck getting your car back when its been broken down for parts and distributed all over the seedy backstreets of whalley range son!

even if you see a panel that looks like yours on someone else's improved and modified version of your '78 classic, you cant do **** about it.

But you still looked at that newer version as if it shared the same pannel...yet had an identity of its own right?

its kinda like that to me..

sorry for the analogy

junebugz said:
Everybodys samples. Even if you are a professional musician (and a little bit pretentious) like me and never steal other people's work (blah blah blah blah blah blah blah)....... blah blah blah. . .

I am not against sampling (which we all do) but I am against those who blah blah blah blah blah. It's just like jacking someone's car. Thats a felony and stealing someones else work (I contradict myself a little here cause if i researched a bit I would realize that samplers clear beats with the sample owners) and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I sampled you a bit there buddy. Sorry bout that. I hope you clear it. I'm willing to give you 8 cents per album.

Keyboard beats are killing hip hop. Why? Because people suck at making keyboard beats now. Listen to an old Scarface album like "Untouchable" or "last of a Dying". That's how sample free beats should sound.

Nowadays dudes make a track like "I got me some bathing apes" and think they're more talented than people who sample cause they didn't? Pretty sad.

Well Composed songs that contain samples :

Yung Berg - Sexy Lady
Mims - This is Why I'm Hot
JT - What goes Around
50 Cent - Candy Shop

this get's old, cause y'all act like taking a loop is the only way to sample. You also act like making sh*t that sound like it came off a Fischer Price keyboard takes more talent. Then wonder why yo' sh*t's garbage.

omg what a wack topic to make... sampling is to use another persons work (with or without permission). what you described is just recording yourself, which is NOT sampling.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Well Composed songs that contain samples :

Mims - This is Why I'm Hot
50 Cent - Candy Shop

which elements in those songs are sampled? i dont doubt you or anything im just curious

Last edited:
here we go again...haha
Stealing ideas always happen,David Bowie used to steal guitar riffs from other groups and make hits.He didn't sample but he re-played it,same deal.Timbo doesn't sample but he's being sued by a Finnish producer for that Nelly Furtado hit because he allegedly jacked his song but replayed it and that happens all the time.
One may argue that sampling is stealing but it also made forgotten artists relevant with younger fans and with some dollars in their pockets as well.

orjanbeats said:
which elements in those songs are sampled? i dont doubt you or anything im just curious
Mims samples all those songs in the 1st verse when he makes references. Most people just don't call that sampling.(Shook One's, Jesus Walks. Nothing but a G-Thing)

The intro to Candyshop is a sample.

orjanbeats said:
omg what a wack topic to make... sampling is to use another persons work (with or without permission). what you described is just recording yourself, which is NOT sampling.

NO YOU ARE SO WRONG LEARN WHAT SAMPLING IS BEFORE YOU START IN ON CONVO.

now if i record myself playing a live guitar that indeed is sampling, if i record a baby like timbo did that is indeed sampling, if i go out and record real sirens or gunshots that is indeed a sample. if i record a whole verse and use 2 lines in a beat that is indeed sampling.

Lokness42 said:

now if i record myself playing a live guitar that indeed is sampling, if i record a baby like timbo did that is indeed sampling, if i go out and record real sirens or gunshots that is indeed a sample. if i record a whole verse and use 2 lines in a beat that is indeed sampling.

ok then, so i guess also EVERY song out nowadays is also sampled, since the beat is normally tracked out from mpc/triton/whatever, into a computer. smart one

With all my respect,if you record yourself playing guitar,it's not a sample.
What would constitute a sample is if you took a chunk of that recording and did something new with it then you would have a dope guitar sample.

Lokness42 said:

ur wrong lol.

Pimpmatik said:
With all my respect,if you record yourself playing guitar,it's not a sample.
What would constitute a sample is if you took a chunk of that recording and did something new with it then you would have a dope guitar sample.
exactly. recording urself is not sampling. if you chop up part of that and play it different or w/e you can be sampling yourself but it's not a sampled beat. if you create something urself it's not a sampled beat.

bobsmitt said:
ur wrong lol.

exactly. recording urself is not sampling. if you chop up part of that and play it different or w/e you can be sampling yourself but it's not a sampled beat. if you create something urself it's not a sampled beat.
the definition of sampling in a music scenario
Sampling (music), re-using portions of sound recordings in a piece.

so therefore if i record myself playing guitar then use and reuse it in my music, by definition its a sample because.

also get it str8 are we talking about sampling in general or sampled beats as to the the op is talking about. recording himself then reusing it in his work.

Back