Is it Possible to Make Money Independently Selling Sample Based Beats?

kifferei

or will you just get your ass sued off? do you have to have a label clearing your samples in order to viably sell your beats?

Lots of people make money off of selling beats with samples. I've made most of my money with music selling beats with samples. I've never been sued for it. You gotta get to a certain status before that's even an issue. And no you clear the sample after the song is complete.

do you personally clear the song after you finish it? do actually pay the legal owner of the material to use it? can you legally lease usage rights of your beat or is it just highly unlikely that it will be an issue? just wondered. sorry about the n00bish questions. i have a lot of sampled beats saved but just have been generally unclear on this issue.

It's not that big of a deal...relax i hear alot samples on tapes these days which I don't think the producer contacted the artist to clear a sample or even tried this is the most overrated topic in the game IMO

do you personally clear the song after you finish it? do actually pay the legal owner of the material to use it? can you legally lease usage rights of your beat or is it just highly unlikely that it will be an issue? just wondered. sorry about the n00bish questions. i have a lot of sampled beats saved but just have been generally unclear on this issue.

I allow the artist to handle the clearances if they see fit to get the song cleared. I have had a few who did but most of them don't care enough to. Chances are if you are asking a question like this here you probably aren't at the point of worrying about it.

I allow the artist to handle the clearances if they see fit to get the song cleared. I have had a few who did but most of them don't care enough to. Chances are if you are asking a question like this here you probably aren't at the point of worrying about it.

ah ok cool that answers my question pretty directly. thanks for the reply.

I would leave the sample clearing up to the artist. I see many producers on rocbattle selling beats with samples and stipulating that it is up to the artist to get the sample cleared.

I hear this more and more....sample beats used by big artist always get dropped on mixtapes...i feel mixtapes is were samples get placements....fabolous just made a mixtape of nothing but sample beats,,, yo gotti uses samples on his mixtapes, jeezy, french montana, even titi boi for gods sake...y cuz the streets listen to mixtapes...albums is for pop charts n radio play....

just chop your samples well, and you won't be able to tell what the sample is or where it came from. :D listen to my beats, most of em you cant say "oh that is from this song" or "ah that sounds like this song"

The artist is usually the one responsible for clearing samples. It dOesnt make sense to clear a beat if your not even sure the track is gonna make it to the album.

do a forum search next time. this is an endlessly rehashed topic.

if you're not selling beats to anyone who isn't getting their music heard on a mainstream level, you don't have anything to worry about. labels wouldn't waste time suing a bunch of nobodies. they would actually lose more money than they would gain by doing that, even if they won the lawsuit.

if you're not selling beats to anyone who isn't getting their music heard on a mainstream level, you don't have anything to worry about. labels wouldn't waste time suing a bunch of nobodies. they would actually lose more money than they would gain by doing that, even if they won the lawsuit.

right...

funny how NOBODIES think they have something to worry about...

yeah, not a lot but yeah. its 100% possible. the sample-based beats you hear on big albums are usually there because of people who have solidified their name when sampling was less of a problem/more popular e.g Alchemist, Nottz, Preem, Pete Rock etc.

also i think since youtube's partnering program its a lot more likely youd be able to sell a sample-based beat to a rapper who's going to use it for a music video. since he/she will be making money from it if it blows up on youtube.

From my experience labels is not coming after you unless you are making alot of money and selling money. It have to be worth their time. I'm a producer that loves to sample and records that I produced with major artists that I done the label cleared the samples but i had to pay a big portion of my publishing. So you can still make money if you sell either way.

Back