Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Roland TR-808

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlessedHands

This is a Poll of the best drum sampler. Me personally I dont use a drum sampler I use a CPU (Technology Era of Music) But I want to know all your opinons on the best drum sampler I'll Give you a few chooses if your fav One isn't in the polls name your favorite.

I'd have to say that the MPC is the most famous and most widely used...Although I myself enjoyed my time with the ASR-10

Now I don't use Hardware anymore, it's all FL all the time...I find it to be easier, and I can do more than I ever could with the ASR

The Akai MPC is the most "Legendary"/Over hyped of all time thread over.

The MPC-3000 only imo. The others aren't really part of the family since the creator of the MPC-3000 (the first MPC of the series) had nothing to do with the rest. I'll agree with Emcee_Logic "Over hyped" statement about the 500/1000/2000/2500/4000 and whatever other numbers they have added to that series, except in the case of the 3000. It lives up to its rep. The most import feature a drum sampler can have is being easy to use on the fly. Alot of samplers have too many presets parameters and values you need to set before getting right down to it. Anyone who has ever owned roland gear from the same era knows the woes of what I'm talking about.

The best sampler now is without a doubt a computer + a really nice midi controller with like 12-16 nice big midi drum pads you can beat like a red headed stepchild.

But thats just my pref.

BTW, the TR-808 isn't a sampler. It's a Rhythm Composer A.K.A. drum machine. All the "TR"'s are drum machines hince "TR = Transistor Rhythm".

http://www.vintagesynth.com/
http://www.synthmuseum.com/

If you want info on what equipment was considered "la shiznit" at certain times. Both those sites also give ref as to which artists were famous for using a specific device.

Last edited:
the TR 808 doesnt sample lol. Its not even a sampler its a synth. And Id have to go wtih the mpc 3000 as most legendary as far as best thats subjective to what kind of sound you like

getfresh said:
The MPC-3000 only imo. The others aren't really part of the family since the creator of the MPC-3000 (the first MPC of the series) had nothing to do with the rest. I'll agree with Emcee_Logic "Over hyped" statement about the 500/1000/2000/2500/4000 and whatever other numbers they have added to that series, except in the case of the 3000. It lives up to its rep. The most import feature a drum sampler can have is being easy to use on the fly. Alot of samplers have too many presets parameters and values you need to set before getting right down to it. Anyone who has ever owned roland gear from the same era knows the woes of what I'm talking about.
The first MPC was 60, not 3000

Man I always hate when people start talking about the 3000 :mad: <-jealousy

The list has obvious problems, but I picked SP-12...for the SP-1200.

Other nominations might include the Akai S-950, as well as other older Ensoniq joints.

p.s. The computer, great as it is, just isn't a sampler in the original sense of the word. A real samplers speed of operation is probably now it's greatest strength. An MPC3000 is probably as close to the perfect hip-hop tool as one could hope for.

p.s.s. Roland MV-8000?? Legendary?? :P

Well it's pretty obvious that the MV is by far the best, but the MPC 'legend' will never stop. That way they can still sell twenty-year-old technology as 'new'...

I actually think the 2kxl is more legendary than the 3k. Not better but more legendary just because it was the first really affordable MPC and so many people bought them when they came out. If you look in hip hop producers toolboxes you'll find the 2kxl many more times than the 3k.

Alot of you left good comments and your right the 808 is not a sampler but i had to give them synth users something to pick plus seems like every 1 down south talkin about the 808 in there songs and its been that way for a long time even sir mix alot said something about the TR 808 in his song and another thing is alot of you are not aware how important the SP-12 was to producers in the late 80s early 90s Even Pete Rock Still uses it

Cameron Thomas said:
I actually think the 2kxl is more legendary than the 3k. Not better but more legendary just because it was the first really affordable MPC and so many people bought them when they came out. If you look in hip hop producers toolboxes you'll find the 2kxl many more times than the 3k.
good point. that and the asr10 are very popular.

BlessedHands said:
Alot of you left good comments and your right the 808 is not a sampler but i had to give them synth users something to pick plus seems like every 1 down south talkin about the 808 in there songs and its been that way for a long time even sir mix alot said something about the TR 808 in his song and another thing is alot of you are not aware how important the SP-12 was to producers in the late 80s early 90s Even Pete Rock Still uses it
most everything i have read about pete would suggest that he uses a mpc and has been for years

Last edited:
this is no contest, simply bcuz everyone knows about the MPC, they still make many models of it, and most major producers have it in their studio... not to mention everything else in the poll other than the "new" MV series is not bein made anymore... i like what the MPCs do, but they are so basic to me now... its like havin the last few John Madden games... show me alot of new things, not a few... i picked "other", bcuz my RS7000 is legendary to me... Companies constantly come out with new equipment, yet they never stack the features like the RS... somethings always missin... only a few have mastered it for Hip Hop... the one's that havent, went back to the MPC.

da relic

Last edited:
Cameron Thomas said:

Thats because the 3k was discontinued. The 2k and 4k were a new line after the ceased making the 3k.

The fact that not even one of the imitation TB-303's has ever gained the fame or demand/value of a real 303, even at prices lower than a mint condition TB-303 by 1300$. The midi sequencer/samplers that always got drooled about for hiphop production was the MPC3000. But the fact is not everyone could have one. Hell I know from experience since I own a TB-303 myself and have NEVER met another owner in real life, yet everyone who does electronic type music producton knows what one is.

Hmmm. That's a toss up between the sp1200 and the mpc 60.I'd give a slight edge to the sp1200 because some cats were also using the akai s950. Those crunhcy drums!! Also it had limited sampling time so you had to be creative as hell.I read about stories when the sp1200 came out, many artists would network and teach each other how to use it.Large Professor and Q-Tip were the gurus back then. They taught mad cats.The SP-12 was the first model but the SP-1200 was more popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not To Rain On Your Parade But When You Say Legendary Their Only A Few Such As The Sp 1200 And The Mpc 60

BlessedHands said:
This is a Poll of the best drum sampler. I want to know all your opinons on the best drum sampler I'll Give you a few chooses if your fav One isn't in the polls name your favorite.
there is a difference between legendary and the best... the ol' skool drum samplers are legendary, but they are not neccessarily the best anymore... theres alot of other machines out there now that blow the legendary ones out tha water... RS for life biotches!!!

da relic

Last edited:
Back