Mental blocks and samples

J.P. Styles

153 pounds of Fury!!!
:mad: I don't know what it is but lately I have been having problems sampling/composing, and this drought seems to have started when I decided to stop smoking weed and drinking. It was hard but I've been somewhat sober (got drunk on New Years Eve and about 4 times this year) for about 5 months. Long story short do you think not smoking and drinking could have anything to do with this long drought? Should I start back smoking and drinking, or is this just a mental thing?

edit: I have made beats sober but they don't have the same sound I was going for. Productivity also has gone down drastically (I finish about I beat per week now which is far from the 5 to 10 I was used to).

Last edited:
No. Its all in your head. I use to smoke a lil before making beats because I thought it made me more creative. I haven't smoked in a year and have been making the best beats of my life.

You just gotta get that thought out of your head and realize all the creativity is in yourself. We all go through producers block, you just gotta take a break for a min, listen to different genres and just try not to think about beats for a while, you'll come back refreshed.

Thanks for the insight, all the people I have asked this question have said that I should start back smoking & drinking but I couldn't take their advice because they were friends that I used to smoke and drink with (had a little rep going).

u gotta listen to Pete Rock and Cl Smooth - Mecca and the soul brother
Reason why im saying this is because the sampling on this album raised the bar for producers that followed. listen to T.R.O.Y and then listen to the original song pete sampled from. after that do the same with the first track on the album - Return of the mecca...itll blow ya mind...if u havent listened to it already, but yeah this will get ur ass hype as hell and wanna start sampling shit u wudnt have sampled before and/or just sample something itll get u in the mood...try it n see if it works

u gotta listen to Pete Rock and Cl Smooth - Mecca and the soul brother
Reason why im saying this is because the sampling on this album raised the bar for producers that followed. listen to T.R.O.Y and then listen to the original song pete sampled from. after that do the same with the first track on the album - Return of the mecca...itll blow ya mind...if u havent listened to it already, but yeah this will get ur ass hype as hell and wanna start sampling shit u wudnt have sampled before and/or just sample something itll get u in the mood...try it n see if it works

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try tomorrow afternoon.

If you smoked a whole lot of weed and were high 95% of the time u used to make beats it could be the weed....if ur accustomed to being high once u take the weed out the equation its either gon make shit better or worse ur case the worse....this may not last forever you just need to get adjusted to making beats sober....

It's been almost half a year and I just feel like I'm at a loss. Up until I quit I was always under the influence when I made beats. I just can't explain it. I also noticed that I can't sleep at night, which has been a problem my whole life ( until I discovered that smoking helped me sleep better ), and end up staying up listening to songs instead of sampling. idk it's probably just all a mental thing.

its def a mental thing but i know cats that need weed to basically self medicate...this might be your problem and you should probbably see a doctor/shrink...My friend's shrink basically told him to smoke weed because it helps him be "normal" (whatever that is)...

btw, good job tuning futureproducers into webmd lol jk

I think its both. Its mental because its not causing you physical reactions besides not being able to sleep. To me though if you can make a beat sober and I mean like put your soul into the beat. Once your lifted you can really get into it and its like a whole new world. Relying on anything outside of yourself though can hinder your abilities and just from my experiences in due time you will be back on your feet making shit without being under the influence.

All pyschological man. Just a placebo effect.
As for your insomnia might want to see a doctor bout that one man.

damn jp . when i had stopd puffy on the green i was mean an when im up up to the sky im like my true self - yeah smoking is a badd habit but as long as you know what you doing an how it effects you werk -i think if the smoking an drinking becomes a distraction more so then a copen mechanism i think you just abused it to the point that reality hit you so hard reality hit you so hard it made u look at your self an tell your self is this right for me is this messing up my bills then you got problems !! other then that im light it up for you j.p - jp jus smoke an relive your stress an stop frontin on how you really are embrace you bad habits jus dont over due it cause eventually everything catches up too u - everything in moderation - get high get drunk - jus as long it dont interfer with breaking bread your in the clear - its jus your concious - your a good person enough to reconize what has had a toll in part of your life an you looking for a right way - well what can i say you got to enjoy yourself and not over think things - get high then drink a 40.oz an make a beat eat the some munchies an call it a night an dont think as it is a bad habit think of it as a copen mechanism - jus dont abuse it- yeah an for the sleppin part i suggest a fatt blunt - peace stop stressin it an smoke stupid your jus beating yourself up for nothin its not crack an crack kills -

Last edited:
man - if i was u ,i would jus go get a blunt a 24 an get crunk an stop b!tchen straight up - i bet you'll have the best time once you let lose u uptight weinie -

damn jp . when i had stopd puffy on the green i was mean an when im up up to the sky im like my true self - yeah smoking is a badd habit but as long as you know what you doing an how it effects you werk -i think if the smoking an drinking becomes a distraction more so then a copen mechanism i think you just abused it to the point that reality hit you so hard reality hit you so hard it made u look at your self an tell your self is this right for me is this messing up my bills then you got problems !! other then that im light it up for you j.p - jp jus smoke an relive your stress an stop frontin on how you really are embrace you bad habits jus dont over due it cause eventually everything catches up too u - everything in moderation - get high get drunk - jus as long it dont interfer with breaking bread your in the clear - its jus your concious - your a good person enough to reconize what has had a toll in part of your life an you looking for a right way - well what can i say you got to enjoy yourself and not over think things - get high then drink a 40.oz an make a beat eat the some munchies an call it a night an dont think as it is a bad habit think of it as a copen mechanism - jus dont abuse it- yeah an for the sleppin part i suggest a fatt blunt - peace stop stressin it an smoke stupid your jus beating yourself up for nothin its not crack an crack kills -

who gave you your name, that answer is as real as it gets. Thank all yall for the advice its much appreciated.

i am the truth youll know why !! once you get real with yourself !! soul searchen i found my name i lot of looking into myself days that take men ages to fiund themsleves alot of tranformations in life you jus have to look at it as a positive opposed to a negative even if it is negative as long as you have good intentions thats what seprates good from bad, intentions are your intentions for the bad then youll have a neagative effect on your out come but if you have a good intention not trying to harm your self more then your trying copen with life an its struggles everybodies deals with life an it aint easy this life so jus try to found a way to make it the easiest an smothiest ride with no problems an no worries - i may be talikng to much but oh well peace-

intentions- good- positive outcome in life
intentions- bad- negative out in life

Last edited:
if your doing something in life thats badd with good intentions youll have a good out come n life -
or if your good as is but having bad/ or gets greed in there vision in your intention it could throw you to the dark side

Last edited:
Back