making beats on the fly with rex + mpd18, is it possible?

racoon1

basically if I have reason with a pad controller (lets say mpd18) can I make a beat on the fly and loop it, then change to a diff track while its still looping and add on samples, bass etc etc. what the girl does in this video exactly what i want to be able to do. (youtube)

/watch?v=7ShAWzqAzYM

I've seriously been trying to figure this out for 4-5 days now. I've tried to give people feedback here in hopes that I get some when I need it. Everything I've found on rex loop player is playing loops that are already set in stone, like I want to build a beat on the fly with samples and loop it. I know mpcs can do it but can the mpd18 with reason do it?

I feel like i've watched every video on youtube about the dr. octo rex and have found nothing about making beats live and looping them. Maybe I just suck at googling, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about doing this in Reason, but I know Equalibrum has found a way to do it in FL, maybe you could look at his template and apply it to Reason?

the thing about the mpd32 is that it has everything needed to do what I want built into it. It doesnt need a DAW to create beats on the fly and loop it. Im talking just strictly a control surface like mpd18. I also think I put this in the wrong sub-forum =/ . Im gonna put it in the right sub-forum.

Last edited:
An MPD32 is just a MIDI controller too (I own one myself). It's merely a controller and completely DAW dependent. The only difference is that is has more knobs & sliders than the rest of the MPD series.

oh, I see. I must of read wrong. Well the video up there just shows someone on an mpd creating beats and looping them, it doesnt actually show how he's doing it.

Last edited:
He has an FL Studio template in the description. Like I suggested earlier, you could look at that and figure out how to apply the same effect to Reason

i looked for the template and tutorial that you mentioned and I cant find it anywhere.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

i finally figured it out and oh wow is it easy. you just go to the sequencer window and put your loop bars to where ever you want to loop and make sure the loop button is pressed. After that you just hit record and when your done with, lets say, your beat track you just click on the next device (or press arrow down/up on your keyboard) in the sequencer window, like your bass for example and lay down your bass line while the beat you just made is still looping. then on too samples, synths etc etc. Now I can really get in the groove. thanks for the help.

Back