How to remove kicks from a sample or take them out the most you can?

B

Bill95

How to remove kicks from a sample or take them out the most you can?

I wanna sample but i have a problem with like if i find a part i wanna sample and theres kicks and hi hats and so on, on the part i wanna remove it from the sample or take it out the best i can. Could someone help me with this problem i have no idea how to do it. Thanks. Oh also the programs i got are Reaper, Reason 4, Fl Studio 8 i've been trying to use Fl Studio for sampling because i heard you can do it pretty good in that program. So hopefully i hear from some about this problem and thanks again for taking your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its almost impossible to get them 100% out but you can try filtering and eq.

Sampling

Its almost impossible to get them 100% out but you can try filtering and eq.

Okay man im not to sure how to do that in Fl Studio is there any way you can link a video on how to do this if you know a video or give me some steps on how to do it. If you don't mind.

^ what he said

or try to incorporate the samples drums into your beat.

let me open fl studio its been a while give me 2 minutes

and filtering and eq'ing will propably make the sample itself sound sh!tty... just leave the kicks. nowadays i just hope the sample has some kicks on it. i'm so used to it..

Use EQ to roll off the bottom end of the sample. You can't completely take the kicks out, but if you roll off the bottom end of the sample, it takes away the prescence (the boom) of the kick, which is all you need most of the time.

and filtering and eq'ing will propably make the sample itself sound sh!tty... just leave the kicks. nowadays i just hope the sample has some kicks on it. i'm so used to it..

Not necessarily. Filtering wouldn't be the best thing to do, but if you know how to EQ, you can take the kicks out easily and still keep the quality of the sample. You just have to be subtle.

Last edited:
Sampling

Use EQ to roll off the bottom end of the sample. You can't completely take the kicks out, but if you roll off the bottom end of the sample, it takes away the prescence (the boom) of the kick, which is all you need most of the time.

ye but i have no idea how to do that to a sample in fl studio

1. Click the name of your sample in the step sequencer (the grey rectangle)
2. This will bring up the channel sttings. Click the INS tab
3. On the bottom right there will be a box with 2 knobs and it will say filter.
4. In the drop down box it says Fast LP by default, click that and select HP(High Pass)
5. Turn both of those knobs all the way to the left.

This is the most your sample can be high passed in FL. This will eliminate all of the lower frequencies like the bass and some of the kick. Part of the kick and the hi hat are gunna be in the same frequency as the sample so that's why it is almost impossible to eliminate then without degrading your sample to the extreme.

If that's not enough assign your sample to a mixer track and assign the Fruity Parametric EQ 2. Load the Quick Low Roll Off preset and grab the purple 1 and move it the right until it clears up anything else. That is basically a manual High Pass filter but it could help too.

Yea it usually makes the sample too thin sounding/ I just chop my samples on the ones and twos and layer my own drums on top and sometimes if some of there hats gets in you can use it like a percussion.

Yea too much can make the sample sound too thin. I usually chop on the one and the two and layer my drums on top and sometimes the samples hi-hat can act like extra percussion if it comes out right

Sampling

1. Click the name of your sample in the step sequencer (the grey rectangle)
2. This will bring up the channel sttings. Click the INS tab
3. On the bottom right there will be a box with 2 knobs and it will say filter.
4. In the drop down box it says Fast LP by default, click that and select HP(High Pass)
5. Turn both of those knobs all the way to the left.

This is the most your sample can be high passed in FL. This will eliminate all of the lower frequencies like the bass and some of the kick. Part of the kick and the hi hat are gunna be in the same frequency as the sample so that's why it is almost impossible to eliminate then without degrading your sample to the extreme.

If that's not enough assign your sample to a mixer track and assign the Fruity Parametric EQ 2. Load the Quick Low Roll Off preset and grab the purple 1 and move it the right until it clears up anything else. That is basically a manual High Pass filter but it could help too.

Okay thanks man i will give it a try and i'll get back to you. thanks again

Sampling

Yea too much can make the sample sound too thin. I usually chop on the one and the two and layer my drums on top and sometimes the samples hi-hat can act like extra percussion if it comes out right

Also i forgot to add is that can i do it in Edison then chop once i do it because im gonna be sampling with the fpc

Also i forgot to add is that can i do it in Edison then chop once i do it because im gonna be sampling with the fpc

I honestly don't kno. I moved on to the MPC around the time FL8 came out and I never really used it.

Try automating the filter so it only filters the low end when the kicks come in.

yeah by adding alot of filter to it, the sample is gonna lose its nice sound, but its all personal preference. I personally use the original samples kicks, and just make the beat work by throwing my own drums ontop of it

Back