Have an old record player, what should i purchase now?

ssw706

Alright so I already have an old record player (two actually) the one that is newer is a realistic lab-430 from the 80s I believe. I use the ni maschine to make beats and I already have a bunch of records so I want to start making use of them. I understand I need a dj mixer or Pre amp, but what do you guys recommend to mefor quality sampling? I know it's not that complicated but it seems like it to me right now lol

turntable into pre-amp, into line amp (domestic/normal amp), into sampler...

in the past amplifiers had a phono input so you didnt always need the pre amp... you could just connect straight from turntable to amp...

or as said above use a mixer instead of a pre amp...

remember to earth the record deck to the amp, there should be a thin cable on the turntable for that

when i say sampler it could be hardware like an akai mpc or just into software on your laptop...

years ago i had a tiny yamaha sampler called an SY10 or something... i wish i had kept that because it had a nice sound and it was handy just to have it there connected to the mixer ready to digitize if i was feeling something...

i recently bought a technics 1200 which i'm working on setting up to digitize my vinyl and start a you tube channel... it sounds real heavy, really nice

If you are just sampling... grab a multi channel mixer w/ pre-amps in it vs. DJ mixer. But a good mid range amp I like is BLA Auteur.

Or just simply a phono preamp (try Google, cheapest ones go for $25-$50), no point in buying a multi-channel mixer unless there is need for it..

Thanks for the responses guys, so using an old record player will be fine right? I would prefer not to buy a new one but if I have to I will. I think I'm just going to buy a phono preamp

Totally fine. It might be a good idea to replace the needle if it's from the 80's though.

"using an old record player will be fine right?"

sure... what ever you use will have its own sound which will effect the sound of the sample... you have 2 decks, try them both and compare...

take care of them, old turntables are quite collectable now...

Back