Feelings on recognizable samples

B

BigRyan

Hey guys, got a question.

Produced this beat this weekend. I think it's really dope, and so does everyone else who's heard it.

But my brother said to me "that one sample in there though, the jazz one, I've heard that in another song". Which is true, it's in a Nice & Smooth song I think. Personally I don't really care, I think it suits the beat well, and I don't want to chop it up for the sake of chopping it up when it works for the beat just fine as it is.

What are your opinions on using recognizable samples? Do you go by "if it is good, then it is good"?

hhhhmmmm u and ur bro have really good points. if its good its good but:

if it is two recognizable u may get criticized for just jackin the sample or for example some may used the same idea. my friend sample "move on up" by curtis mayfield the same sample as touch the sky produced by just blaze for kanye. even if just stole his beat it wouldnt matta cuz it was so close to the original.

basically if its good its good. but be careful of others usin it. if u dig for rare stuff u wont always have that prob. or if u chop ur stuff u may not have that prob. check my stuff out though. i think i do a good job wit choppin

if you're going to use a sample of a well known record then try to flip it differently or sample a different part of it

I think in this case I'll just leave it as is and go from there. If I were to do it any differently I think I'd just be spoiling the beat. I don't think my track feels like the Nice & Smooth track anyway, and even if it did, big deal. I can go and make another beat.

Your sampling, people are bound to use the same sample, school boy crush by the average white band many people used that track.
If two people are using the same sample either one didnt ripp the other one off if anything your ripping off the original writer of the song before your ripping off the guy who used that sample first.

You wont be the first to use the same sample as others and your not going to be the last, if you like it and like the song you made keep it.

Just expect some ignorant fool to talk crap about how you cant do that, and most of everyone els wont care if it sounds good.

if you are happy with it then that is all that matters.

there is someone who will always be able to recognize the sample you use (no matter how rare you may think it is or how much digging u do 2 find it)

unless you tweak it to an extreme degree and even then there are people who could come up with a few ideas as to where the sample may have originated

if you flip it enough and make what song you sampled unclear you probably could get away with not clearing the sample :P

Back