"Baroque" Sounding Samples

lachlanism

I really did that "old" orchestral sound, and i really wanna mesh it into my style, but i've a couple questions:

1. Can you make anything sound "old" through production? if so, how? or is the tone more from the way the music is arranged?

2. If not, where would be good sources to sample that kind of thing from? I'm thinking like, old movies or something..

If someone could help me out here, it'd be much appreciated.

You just have to figure out where the samples you like are from like time period and how they were recording back then. For instance i know i like wax tailor sounding voc samples. So i sample a lot of old 1950-40 interviews with different people like salvadore dali and ayn rand.

Filtering/EQ will give you a "vintagy" sound. You can use filtering on the entire track or individual channels to get more control. You just don't want to overdo it.

There are also "saturation", "tape", "vinyl" and "vintage" labeled processors that can do good jobs of making things sound like old recordings at playback. I do stuff like that with stock filters all the time so i can't tell you which ones are good, but they exsist.

I'd start with getting old vinyls, since you want an orchestral sound, I'd start with getting a couple of OST's of movies from the 50's or 60's. especially horror movies are good for this, think movies like the Shining (awesome movie btw).

I'd go straight to the source and sample from actual classical recordings of baroque composers.

Back