Adding sounds

Wilby89

I normally sample from records but when you have you're verse layed down and you want to add more instruments to make up the chorus do you go crate diggin for those sounds or go to a VST and which VST's do you rely on.

Both, it depends on what I'm looking for. If there is a lot of space I'll usually dig for another sample, if I need something really specific I'll start looking through my refills or start working with a synth.

I normally take them from reason unless i know what record to go to for some bongos but i mostly just open up reason take the extra instruments I need and go from there

Yup both, usually I'll add vsti's and if I can find samples on the same note. I hate not adding more sounds to my sampled beats but sometimes I don't.

I usually just make a new pattern with the chops I already have. I add sounds sometimes but usually not much.

Both. You can re use your samples with a highpass on top of your main track. Dilla did this on donuts a bit. The choppiness is deliberate and its a decent build up. Try different octaves, filters, and other effects aswell. I usually go with instruments there's so much more you can do.

adding more sounds for the chorus is so overused. i still do it sometimes, but only when its feels right. with that said there is an almost endless amount of ways you can change it p for the chorus (including not changing it at all). just do whatever works.

Sometimes I might use Reason instruments if I'm looking for a certain sound that I know I don't have on record but for the most part, like Xabiton said, I try to rearrange the chops in a different way for the chorus.

Back