Why don't my beats sound "professional"?

ADProductions

So ive had logic for about 6 months along with my motif with some mackie MR8's ect...Decent enough hardware i thought to make pro stuff? and theres just one thing i dont understand. I go on soundclick and listen to lets say SINIMA beats. What does he do to make his drums just sound incredible. every song they sound full and just SLAP! where my logic kits sound very thin and very hard to get a huge sound out of them.

It seems like melodically i can make very good music but it just seems like every sound he has, sounds better then mine.

Even a plain piano sounds like ur sitting in the room with it in his beats.

(im just using his as an example. this applies to basically any famous producer)

So i guess im asking. what do they have/know/do that i dont?

Last edited:
Not having listened to the music you are on about I would say he EQs, uses effects, and probably masters.

^ that is pretty much it. your beat is not finished after you put some sounds together. there is usually additional hours of polishing a track

One reason could be your sound selection. If you are using stock sounds, then chances are they are going to sound pretty weak. You might want to invest in new sounds (good sounds, not just crap downloaded from the internet). Then, once you have good sounds to start with you can mix with confidence.

probably because its not professionally mixed/mastered? Takes years to become a good engineer, gotta develop your ear, know what needs what and how much, and when to apply it.

Sound as well, im not fan of logic stock sounds but i have heard some magic done with them so i know they can sound good.

You have to learn how to mix. And you're not gonna learn how to mix in 6 months.

Read up on mixing and take it slow. Mixing is something that comes with experience.

I've been at this for 6 years, and I'm still learning how to mix.

www.JTroup.com

This very forum is about Mixing and Mastering. I expect that's exactly what you're lacking, most likely mastering.

Techniques such as EQ, dynamics, harmonic excitement, and especially loudness maximizing can turn a good mix into a great master and a great mix into a hit!

If you want your beats to stand a chance, hire a mix engineer who knows what to add or pull from your track as you guide him. (it takes money to make money in this game) If your mix sounds mastered without having done any mastering to it, then you're on the right path to a great sounding track. Mastering is used to polish a track not fix it.

You have to learn how to mix. And you're not gonna learn how to mix in 6 months.

Read up on mixing and take it slow. Mixing is something that comes with experience.

www.JTroup.com

Thats the truth
it does not happen over night
um 6 years in and still learning

www.JTroup.com

cosign.gif

this book here is as good as a place to start with as any...

51f%2BrFneDiL._SS500_.jpg

Unfortunately, most of us can't afford our own personal engineers. Therefore, learning to mix is essential. Right now, I feel like that's one of the weakest aspects of my compositions.

www.JTroup.com

lol so true, if I had of known this 4 years ago I wouldn't have started producing at all!

Come too far to turn back now though.

compression is probably one of the hardest things to learn especially since most of the time you don't really "hear" it.

Mixing is one thing you only learn by doing, practising, reading, comparing and pushing. But that's not completely it, you have to know your sound output completely. Different systems behave differently, just like cars for example.

Dont get discouraged this early in your career. I've been doing this for 9 years and I still learn something new everyday. Keep it up. Reading definatetly will help.

Just think of it like this...... You have the ear to know your music doesnt sound proffessional yet, right?. Thats very important because other people who have the same problem think they are doing everything the right way (because theyre not honest with themselves) You won half the battle already

Last edited:
Just think of it like this...... You have the ear to know your music doesnt sound proffessional yet, right?. Thats very important because other people who have the same problem think they are doing everything right (when because theyre not honest with themselves) You won half the battle already

that's absolutely true... that puts him 10,000% ahead of most other people.

hey sorry for the long time for my reply. ill actually put stuff up tonight for you to listen. whats the best way to host it. z-sh@re?

And ya mugzy i guess that does make alot of sense.

I dont know i guess it just feels like my drums are WEAK! and for rap they have to bang. Its like every time i get a hot drum sequence, its still just not hot. hahaha. I dont know if you guys know what im talking about but i think its pretty common when your starting out

hey could anyone post up a track thats raw (no mixing/mastering) then the same track after they mixed it. that would help me out a little i think as well.

Last edited:
hey sorry for the long time for my reply. ill actually put stuff up tonight for you to listen. whats the best way to host it. z-sh@re?

And ya mugzy i guess that does make alot of sense.

I dont know i guess it just feels like my drums are WEAK! and for rap they have to bang. Its like every time i get a hot drum sequence, its still just not hot. hahaha. I dont know if you guys know what im talking about but i think its pretty common when your starting out

hey could anyone post up a track thats raw (no mixing/mastering) then the same track after they mixed it. that would help me out a little i think as well.
Yeah good drums are hard to find. Especially if you're new to stacking, compressing and EQ. Visit www.claudioaudio.blogspot.com ...... Im selling sounds I personally put together for extremely cheap.

Last edited:
Back