When mixing kick and 808s?

J

js41891

You know how you it's recommended that you kick drum should be know higher than 0db... well my question is, if you will be using 808s or any sub synth underneath the kick drums hitting at the same time than should all three of the dbs add up to 0db together? let me know if you don't understand my question and I'll try to reexplain what it is I'm asking...

0db is way too loud. . But yes, theoretically, when layering, the layers should sum to the desired volume. In my experience, i like kicks to peak at -8ish, with sub 1 or 2 dB below that. I put them on a bus with some light compression followed by EQ, and the bus peaks at -6ish. But I am new to production, take with a grain of salt.

0db is way too loud. . But yes, theoretically, when layering, the layers should sum to the desired volume. In my experience, i like kicks to peak at -8ish, with sub 1 or 2 dB below that. I put them on a bus with some light compression followed by EQ, and the bus peaks at -6ish. But I am new to production, take with a grain of salt.
O wow, I kind of feel stupid now because I forgot all about the bus... but thanks for your input

you shouldn't even get close to 0db while producing or mixing. no need to do that. turn down your levels to have headroom, rest is the ME's work.

you can use a technique called ducking to make compress the bass when the kick drum hits. You need a compressor with a side chain to do it.

Back